Why become a member? ×

Vocal harmonizer/second voices

Ghost_Bass

Hi.

My lead singer is looking to try one of these babys but i never payed much atention to this sort of thing so i don't know waht are the best possibilities out there and i'm counting with your help on that.
She is looking at a TC-Helicon Harmony-G on evilbay but from what i read of it looks like it only does voices if the guitar is plugged into it and harmonizes those voices with the guitar's tones.

Is there a pedal out there able to work alone, picking the voice and doubling one voice above and another below - and if was possible to choose apart from octaves (like a octave down plus a fifth up) would be great - who doesn't messes with the original signal (probably true bypass) and put out pretty good sounds for a female vocals?

Thanks in advance, cheers

That's exactly what the Digitech MV5 does: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=118317"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=118317[/url]

It's rack-mounted, rather than being a pedal. If you think through the implications of a processor that can harmonise successfully in different keys, both major and minor, it becomes clear that a pedal will never be able to do it properly.

The MV5 uses a midi-keyboard as a front end to "warn" it that she'll be singing this next song in Gm, or in D. Just play a simple Gm triad or D triad and it knows what notes are acceptable for harmonies.

If you're with good with midi (unlike me) the it can do heaps more besides.

I've been looking at the TC Helicon Voicetone D1 and it looks like a simple pedal but there are not many videos on youtube where i can hear it properly - TC gear in any near store is to forget.
I'll be loking at your sugestions. The rack processor might be too much for what we're looking for, just a simple thing and rather simple to use because she's not very used to deal with gear, just pluggin in her SM58 to the desk :)

@clauster
Does that boss eats any signal? I try to run from boss pedals, for my bass, because of the lack of true bypass but i know some models are very signal friendly.

Tomorow i'll have another look into your ideas. Keep adding more options!

[quote name='crez5150' post='1088895' date='Jan 14 2011, 07:55 AM']Might be overkill but have a look at the TC Voicelive touch.... I've just purchased two and they are absolutely fantastic. Very easy to programme and offer everything you pretty much need as a vocalist and also ideal for recording[/quote]

It's a nice one too but, like you said, totaly overkill. She'll not be using the harmonizer extensively. She sings very well but nobody else in the band can - the guitard can tune a song but he's unable to do second voices (like 3rds or 5ths) and we all know that one of the requirements to play drums or bass is to have the voice of a mix betwen a bag full of cats and scatching nails in a blackboard :) .

Edited by Ghost_Bass