Why become a member? ×

Ebay links forum

Kiwi

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1138721' date='Feb 23 2011, 03:39 PM']I've stuck stuff on eBay with no reserve starting at 99p... unfortunately that precludes me from putting it up in the sale section![/quote]
I would assume you know how roughly much the items are worth (or how much you'd like for them). Is that not enough?

[quote name='tarcher' post='1138854' date='Feb 23 2011, 05:14 PM']For Sale rules state a firm price must be stated.[/quote]
Maybe I'm not getting my point across.

What I was suggesting was yes, get your eBay links up, even if you're starting with 99p. However, also state a price you'd be happy to sell the items for, to comply with the forum rules.

I don't think this breaks any rules and it'd work around the current limitations.

[quote name='setekh' post='1138808' date='Feb 23 2011, 04:52 PM']I would assume you know how roughly much the items are worth (or how much you'd like for them). Is that not enough?[/quote]

Possibly but ebay is an auction site, Basschat is not. So having no reserve I take a calculated risk of getting more than what I think it is roughly worth... but it might come up less and a Basschatter gets a bargain! It poses the problem that if I advertise it on here for £100 and it goes to £150 on ebay, I'd be unlikely to sell it to a BCer; however, I could then be accused of running an auction style sale on my sale thread.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1138886' date='Feb 23 2011, 05:27 PM']Possibly but ebay is an auction site, Basschat is not. So having no reserve I take a calculated risk of getting more than what I think it is roughly worth... but it might come up less and a Basschatter gets a bargain! It poses the problem that if I advertise it on here for £100 and it goes to £150 on ebay, I'd be unlikely to sell it to a BCer; however, I could then be accused of running an auction style sale on my sale thread.[/quote]
That's true. It is far from a perfect solution. Then again, I can't see any other way, given the current rules.

[quote name='setekh' post='1138911' date='Feb 23 2011, 05:41 PM']That's true. It is far from a perfect solution. Then again, I can't see any other way, given the current rules.[/quote]

Agreed! However, I believe that if members (possibly with X number of posts to their name) were allowed to advertise their auctions via a thread on BCs ebay section then nobody would be any the worse for it, members have the right to choose whether they wished to bid on items or not. It'd take seconds to set up a 'Members Sales' subforum in the ebay section, then if BC members didn't want to trawl through members listings then they could just look in the regular section which is there for us to criticise and pull basses apart that appear on eBay! :)

It's not rocket science to resolve. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1138926' date='Feb 23 2011, 05:53 PM']Agreed! However, I believe that if members (possibly with X number of posts to their name) were allowed to advertise their auctions via a thread on BCs ebay section then nobody would be any the worse for it, members have the right to choose whether they wished to bid on items or not. It'd take seconds to set up a 'Members Sales' subforum in the ebay section, then if BC members didn't want to trawl through members listings then they could just look in the regular section which is there for us to criticise and pull basses apart that appear on eBay! :)

It's not rocket science to resolve. :)[/quote]
Perhaps a sub-section of eBay links dedicated to members' auctions would solve many of the problems. That's something I'd like to see.

Still, it is a matter of opinion, and I don't think we and the forum admins share the same one.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1138886' date='Feb 23 2011, 05:27 PM']Possibly but ebay is an auction site, Basschat is not. So having no reserve I take a calculated risk of getting more than what I think it is roughly worth... but it might come up less and a Basschatter gets a bargain! It poses the problem that if I advertise it on here for £100 and it goes to £150 on ebay, I'd be unlikely to sell it to a BCer; however, I could then be accused of running an auction style sale on my sale thread.[/quote]
Obvious answer - put it in For Sale for double what you'd like for it. That keeps to the rules, no-one can criticise your price, and someone might be [s]stupid[/s] enlightened enough to actually pay you what you're asking. Plus anyone doing research on the item in question to work out what a good bid would be will see the price you've stated and assume that's what they go for and put in a bid at that level. I can't see how you can lose.