Why become a member? ×

Music as Art

essexbasscat

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1087865' date='Jan 13 2011, 12:41 PM']It shares the gallery in common with the case of an installation featuring sound. I've seen a lot of music/art crossover things. The defining factor always seems to be context (the gallery). And that's the answer to your question![/quote]

Thanks for that Spoombung. Yes, of course, music and other forms of art do crossover all the time, as with films for instance.

However, I wonder if that addresses the topic of shared Philosophy ?

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1087651' date='Jan 13 2011, 10:06 AM']Do painters and musicians use the same parts of the brain for the creative process ? I'd like to see some MRI evidence to help decide about that one. The creative area of the brain is processing visual information for painting and auditory information for music.

While both are potentially creative, the painter can take as much time as he likes to carefully construct his piece, while the musician is often working to an unforgiving time signiture in a live situation. If composing music, then of course, the composer can take as much time as they like, as with the painter.

It's the differences of sensory medium that make this an interesting subject for me. A good friend of mine (now out of the country) is a hobbyist painter. While many similar things inspire painters and musicians, they often respond in very different ways. How much of that is down to differences of craft or personal differences is, I suppose, open to much discussion. But the handling of the creative process has fascinated me for ages. I do wonder if my songwriting would improve if I understood the creative process to a greater depth.

Just a thought.

T[/quote]

I can't answer that conclusively but as both a painter and composer (I was a painter first) I don't think of them as different. They both start with inspiration and then involve solving a series of problems (usually how to get the idea as accurately as possible on canvas/tape). Having spoken to a friend who I trained with and who is a professional illustrator, however, his creative process is very different to mine. I tend to have the idea first whereas he works more instinctively. In a sense, if we were sculptors, I would be trying to sculpt what I see in my mind's eye whereas he would see what the sculpture revealed as he went along. Speaking personally, most of my inspiration is actually subconscious; the more-or-less completed ideas just pop into my head and it's often only afterwards that I realise what the inspiration was. When writing songs (certainly what I consider my better songs) I tend to hear the bulk of the song in my head straight off the bat; I seldom think "I'll write a song now" and if I do it's usually inferior.