Why become a member? ×

Bass lessons

oldslapper

Ok, so having gigged the Upright now for 12 months, I am painfully aware of how bad my technique is, the evidence of which is in aching wrist/forearm.

So have booked lessons with a teacher who plays in a symphony orchestra near me, who is also a Pilates teacher. First lesson tomorrow.

I shall come away all cultured like, and be able to play the beasty whilst doing the splits, ..........might video that. :)

Seriously looking forward to it.

John

Me too -I've got my first lesson (introduction really) on Thursday with Endorka/Jennifer.

Unlike you though, I've never even touched one, let alone gigged with it!

Very excited though.

Thankfully I've got band practice the night before which should shake off the christmas cobwebs on the EB after a few weeks away in the other half of the world with nary a thick string in sight (just took the mandolin on the plane this time, but it had to go in the hold).

Let us know how the session goes.... I leave the splits to you - I suspect it is a bit further on in the book "progressive gynmastics for musicians" than I have got to!

T

[quote name='baboom' post='1085558' date='Jan 11 2011, 02:45 PM']Me too -I've got my first lesson (introduction really) on Thursday with Endorka/Jennifer.

Unlike you though, I've never even touched one, let alone gigged with it!

Very excited though.

Thankfully I've got band practice the night before which should shake off the christmas cobwebs on the EB after a few weeks away in the other half of the world with nary a thick string in sight (just took the mandolin on the plane this time, but it had to go in the hold).

Let us know how the session goes.... I leave the splits to you - I suspect it is a bit further on in the book "progressive gynmastics for musicians" than I have got to!

T[/quote]

Great lesson with Mark. His Pilates background was enormously helpful in sorting out posture/positioning. Already feel more physically efficient and relaxed. Lots of homework too.

How was yours with Jennifer?

John

Cool - sounds like a fab lesson at your end.

Had an ace session here too- Jennnifer was really lovely and also generous with her time. We covered EB for a start, including a bit of a listen to some band rehearsal tapes. I've got some great tips on fingering and metronome homework.

Then the big beasty itself! It felt better than I had dared hope - totally ignoring the fact that intonation wasn't even on my menu - it felt great to pluck those big strings. The arm position is easier seated but I want to play standing so that'll need some development. I have to get my brain around the left hand fingering (and everything else!), but basically, I find I am rather seduced by the double bass.

Going to sleep on the hire/buy decision - probably will depend on whether I even *can* organise a hire in Glasgow.

Fair play with the lessons. I just took my first upright lesson a few days ago (getting almost stranded in the snow on the way there too!!). I've been playing upright professionally for about 12 years - basically got one and got gigs just because I had one so very much learnt on the job - so after all that time I have a LOT of bad habits to correct. After one lesson I'm already feeling, and more importantly - HEARING - the changes in my playing, especially with my bowing. Yes, I am a wee chuffed ferret. How I wish I could go back to my younger self and give me a slap for not taking lessons then.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1088990' date='Jan 14 2011, 09:50 AM']Fair play with the lessons. I just took my first upright lesson a few days ago (getting almost stranded in the snow on the way there too!!). I've been playing upright professionally for about 12 years - basically got one and got gigs just because I had one so very much learnt on the job - so after all that time I have a LOT of bad habits to correct. After one lesson I'm already feeling, and more importantly - HEARING - the changes in my playing, especially with my bowing. Yes, I am a wee chuffed ferret. How I wish I could go back to my younger self and give me a slap for not taking lessons then.[/quote]

That's a great post Gareth!

In the 12 years you've been paid to play the Upright I wonder how many MD's have asked you whether you'd had lessons, before booking you?? :) You must have already had a great deal of musicality and ability and hard work...(or you're VERY cheap :) ), in order to maintain that length of work.

I think it's a great example of a pro wishing to improve, and not too proud to go and get lessons!....that's a true Pro.

There's a bit of me that gets exasperated with the misguided belief that you have to be perfect before venturing out.

Always seek to improve, through playing with others and through the guidance of those who have trodden a similar path, and who can spot the dangers, and shout encouragement.

Most of all "get out and play people!!" Stop worrying about the imaginary talent police turning up and carting you off because you're using an illegal extended fingering.

Ooh I'm feeling all evangelical."...gotta get a witness...."

[quote name='carlitos71' post='1088478' date='Jan 13 2011, 07:25 PM']I am buying a NXT EUB and interested in some lessons, is he based in London? if not, anybody knows any db/eub instructor in London?

Cheers

Carlos[/quote]

anybody got any suggestions then?

cheers

Carlos

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1089141' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:43 AM']There's a bit of me that gets exasperated with the misguided belief that you have to be perfect before venturing out.[/quote]

Well - I'm not cheap, BUT....... how much you got? :) In 12 years I haven't had a single MD or bandleader ask what my training/education was. I've had plenty ask about what experience I've had, who I've played with, etc - and that's normal to gauge a player's ability. If you know that someone has played with Frank Zappa, for instance, you automatically know that that player has some serious game WITHOUT hearing them play.

An important thing is to be honest about your ability. I've turned down several gigs because I knew they were beyond my ability. It's fine to take a gig that's a bit above your ability and will push you - but it's just stupid to take a gig that will leave you looking like an incompetent fool. I almost lost a very credible and lucrative gig because the person who recommended me had said I was an orchestral player. When the MD mentioned this to me at my audition, I explained I had played some orchestral things in the like of Broadway shows but that's a far cry from being an orchestral player. So we looked through the material and thankfully I was fine with it.

And you're spot on with "the misguided belief that you have to be perfect before venturing out." I know someone working with one of the biggest bands in the world who told a little white lie about a certain aspect of a job and then learnt damn quickly on the job. And I know from talking with some other professionals, way higher up the food chain than me, that I'm not the only one waiting to get found out!!!

[quote name='carlitos71' post='1089198' date='Jan 14 2011, 12:19 PM']anybody got any suggestions then?

cheers

Carlos[/quote]

Sorry Carlos, Mark is based in Dorset. Have a look in bass tutors in the "for sale" section, I would think there's a fair few good ones in London.
All the best,

John