Why become a member? ×

Cleartune on Iphone

thumperbob 2002

Hi All

I am getting a bit obsessive about taking to gigs as little as I can get away with. Previously I had to take a tuner as with a 7 piece band it was not always possible to get a note from our keys player as there always would be some idiot widdling away.

Got the Cleartune app for my Iphone. Absolutely brilliant- really good and super correct and easy to use. Tuner now not taken to gigs and certainly not needed for my pedalboard- Its only a Sansamp anyway. Cant remember the last time my bass went out of tune at a gig! They dont do they?

The app was £2.59!!!

Bob

I use the Polytune or the tuner in Guitar Toolkit apps all the time for both my bass & guitar & also for other band members to tune with (the Guitar Toolkit is good as it has tunings for a load of instruments).

I don't think the iPhone is any more battery hungry than the Nokia's or Sony Ericsson's I've had. Tho I always pop my phones on to charge every 1-2 nights.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1085178' date='Jan 11 2011, 09:28 AM']Surely a proper tuner would be better, and the iPhone tuner used as a backup?[/quote]

That's what I do.
On an Android phone you can try the free "gStrings". Pretty versatile tuner, works well. But I only have it for those occasions when I don't have a tuner handy. I always take a tuner to gigs/rehearsals.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1085178' date='Jan 11 2011, 09:28 AM']Let's hope that your battery hungry iPhone doesn't run out of juice hey? Especially if you forget to charge the thing before a gig :)

Surely a proper tuner would be better, and the iPhone tuner used as a backup?[/quote]

Backup Tuner? Whats wrong with tuning to anyone else in the band- the old school way. I use the Iphone 4 which doesnt have any battery issues. My post was really about the convenience of it and the very low cost for something so accurate. It is a proper tuner- more accurate than anything other than a strobe tuner- just taht you cant plug it in on your pedal board- these should not be used at a gig - for bass plainly not needed- unless you cannot tune the bass old school style.

I really dont understand why someone would take a backup anything to a gig- including another bass- unless another tone was needed. Have been playing for 30 years without any need for backup anything- if the amp goes I can go through the pa- never broke a string at a gig ever and whilst I did have a bass fall off stage once it was repairable in about 15 mins. They are very simple things- other than batteries going I suppose.

Bob

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1086479' date='Jan 12 2011, 10:36 AM']Ahh, but you can plug a line from the "tuner out" on your amp into the iPhone using IK Multimedia's iRig (amplitube)...

They're about £24

I want one now. :)[/quote]

Thats what i had and didnt really get on with it. I just couldn't get a reliable signal level. I hate distortion and really struggled to get a constantly clean tone.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1086495' date='Jan 12 2011, 10:51 AM']Thats what i had and didnt really get on with it. I just couldn't get a reliable signal level. I hate distortion and really struggled to get a constantly clean tone.[/quote]
Aww, that's a shame. Looks like just the job too. :)

Out of curiosity, was it an active or passive bass you used (or try both)? Might be too hot an out from an active bass?