Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

peavey?

Bassist on the Run

hi guys and girls ive been offerd a peavy rig and some cash for my exsiting rig which i have up for sale
it consists of a line6 hd 750 head and a warwick wca611 cab
the feller has offered me a peavey usa t max 900 watt head
and a peavey usa 410 tx cab 8 ohm,

does anyone think much or know much about the peavey stuff
any help would be greatly appriciated

[quote name='bramleyapple' post='1082675' date='Jan 8 2011, 10:37 PM']hi guys and girls ive been offerd a peavy rig and some cash for my exsiting rig which i have up for sale
it consists of a line6 hd 750 head and a warwick wca611 cab
the feller has offered me a peavey usa t max 900 watt head
and a peavey usa 410 tx cab 8 ohm,

does anyone think much or know much about the peavey stuff
any help would be greatly appriciated[/quote]

As Steve has already said - it's not a 900W amp - Peavey never made a T-Max 900.
So it will deliver:
200 W RMS into 8 ohms
350 W RMS into 4 ohms
500 W RMS into 2 ohms

Peavey amps just seem to go on forever though (and they have a brilliant Service Department in case of mishaps).
I was a Line 6 HD750 owner (albeit for less than 24 hours) and it was without doubt the most underpowered and horrid amp I've ever used.
If the deal is a good one and you feel you need the power, then it might be worth selling off the 8Ω cab and picking up a couple of smaller 4Ω cabs - that'll give you the full 500W.

Those heads are great, and the value of watts is vastly overstated, no real point in changing cabs to squeeze more watts from the head. You shouldn't struggle with 200w into that cab unless you boost loads of bass or detune loads, and the head will be running nice and cool (mate of mine melted the transformer in his by running it at half an ohm and bypassing the safety trip), even if you add another cab. Those heads are really good, using the valve section will give you some compression and drive and make the most of the power, if you wanna be louder than that, you'll need a second cab.

Peavey gear is very reliable, virtually indestructable, and sounds good. Can be a bit on the weighty side though.

I`d go with what Mr Foxen says, keep the 8 ohm cab, if you find you need any more power/speakers, they do a 210TVX cab, new abt £150 (prob £200 now the vat has gone up).

Edited by Lozz196

I'd have thought that your Warwick cab alone was worth more than the whole Peavey rig - depending on condition of course. Also, the Peavey 4x10 is probably nearly the same weight as your Warwick!

I'd keep the big German if I was you... I have no experience of either amp, but as others have said, Peavey amps are virtually immortal and indestructible!!

I understnd fully what you are saying Conan
I have both on evilbay at the moment I don't think I'll
Get much more than six for my rig.
So as long as I take £350. £400 as well as the peavy rig
I'm happy. The reason for sale is I joined a band and rushed out
To buy some gear and were still in recording process so I don't need
All this gear until we are playing live and once that happens I'll
Be back
On here to pick peoples brains on what rig is best

Thanks for all the feed back on this my mind is clearer