Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT410HE

Lozz196

Just a quick review of the above.

500 watts at 8 ohms, 4x10 inch speakers. On castors, so fairly easy to move. Not a light cab, but definately not an immovable one. I can easily manage this on my own, including carrying up a flight of stairs, and I`m 45 with a bad back, so that gives some indication.

Soundwise - I`ve read various opinions on these cabs, some saying that they lack bottom end. Well using my Fender MIA Precision, through my TC Electronics Classic 450 (and with my Ampeg SVT210AV cab) I didn`t notice anything lacking. In fact, bass & treble on +1, both mids on -2, and the low-end presence for this was immense. Putting the tweeter up half way produces a nice Mike Dirnt type of sound, full bodied, but with the upper end clarity to ring through. With the tweeter fully off, a really nice Paul Simenon, old-school Ampeggy sound, that supports the guitars, providing a good platform for them to work on.

I`ve also read that the SVT 410HE is a quiet cab. Again, I can`t say that I found this to be so. With the set-up as above, the loudest I could put the amp on was 3.5 on volume, and even then it was too loud, so reduced it to 3.

Maybe these opinions are based around low Bs etc. Not having tried this I can`t comment, but if you are a 4 string bassist, after a traditional rock cab that is fairly easy to shift, and sounds great, the SVT 410HE could well be what you`re looking for.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A venue where I gig regularly has the bass amp going through a really nice Ampeg Classic Series SVT 410he. They started off pairing it with an Ampeg PF- 500, which broke, the replacement was an Ashdown Mag 300 which also broke, and now they've hired an ancient Peavey firebass 700 with a broken input (you have to use the effects return thereby bypassing the preamp completely). [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The amazing thing is, whatever amp they use, the sound out of that cab is always great! The 410he cabs are not cheap.They typically sell for around £700. Which leads me to the conclusion that you're much better off spending your cash on the best cab you can afford and economising on the amplifier rather than the other way around.[/font][/color]

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest BeardyBob

I'm afraid I'm definitely in the 'quiet' and 'lacks bottom end' camp with the SVT410-HE. I wouldn't recommend it as a single cab setup.

My experience is paired with an Ampeg B-2RE head (450W 4ohm but 250W 8ohm).

For loud rock bands, this single HE setup just didn't work. It struggled to move air & even started to cut out. Adding an SVT115E beneath, granted took things to 4ohms, but gave definition & that low-extension. I actually preferred to use the SVT115E as a single cab - that thing's a workhorse.

I now own a Heritage Series SVT410HLF (500W 4ohm, 50Hz-18kHz) - and I'm absolutely in love with it. I suddenly didn't just *have* low-end, but could push it too. I'll write a separate review.