Why become a member? ×

Tribute Concert to Doreen Thobekile @ The Roundhouse

xilddx

This is a charity event organised by WOMA and is a tribute to my former bandleader, Doreen Thobekile, who sadly died of cancer in June last year.

I'll be playing with TGU and we'll be performing some of Doreen's album with her daughter Ingrid (ex Soul II Soul) on vocals.

From the Roundhouse site .. [url="http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/productions/woma-fundraising-gig?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=SM&utm_campaign=woma"]http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/prod...m_campaign=woma[/url]

[i][b]Members of Transglobal Underground, the worlds greatest world fusion band, with Doreen’s daughter Ingrid, take to the stage in a special one off concert paying tribute to a great friend and musician Doreen Thobekile.[/b]

[b]Poetic Pilgrimage[/b] are an exciting female hip hop and spoken word duo from the UK. They are a rare act, being one of the few Muslim female outfits around who are unafraid to express themselves through the art of rhyme.

[b]The legendary DJ Ritu[/b] will be mixing a magical blend of contemporary new releases and world music classics. Ritu is a champion for WOMA and presenter of A World in London, the weekly BBC Radio London programme (BBC London 94.9), which showcases the best of global music.

[b]This event is dedicated to Doreen Thobekile a wonderful singer and performer and one of the major figures in the South African London community. Doreen was a great friend and supporter of WOMA from the beginning, appearing with other artistes at all of our annual fundraising gigs. [/b]

WOMA is a small charitable trust with the clear aim of helping women across Africa who have been widowed or disadvantaged through war, famine or AIDS by giving educational grants to individual women to help them gain skills that will help them support themselves and their families.

Tickets: £13 (£15 on the door)
Doors: 7.30pm
In the Roundhouse Studio Theatre

All proceeds to WOMA[/i]

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1078104' date='Jan 4 2011, 11:41 PM']Already have, Nige, already have.

Played a charity bash before Xmas, I was in two of the six bands. Sat on a high bar stool with my leg on a lower stool, and it seemed to work OK.

You'd never be able to do it ... too much bopping![/quote]
Wickid! Good on you mate!

[quote name='Marvin' post='1081566' date='Jan 7 2011, 10:03 PM']Stop using real names! Hamster has lost all his mystique for me now :)

All the best with the gig.

Cheers

Marvin :)[/quote]
Thanks mate, it was a fantastic, emotional evening. That's Ingrid, Doreen's Daughter, in the middle, she was awesome, a great tribute to her mum's legacy.

Edited by silddx