Why become a member? ×

Which Valves??

retroman

Hi Peeps,

I'm getting my SVT CL revalved in the new year, and wondered what opinions, and advice any of you could offer as to which tubes to go for. At the moment, it's got the stock Sovtec 6550WE valves on the power section, which I understand to be a fairly cheap and cheerful run of the mill valve.

There are quite a few choices, such as Tung-Sol, Winged "C", etc. Although the amp sounds great as it is, I can't help feeling that some really nice glowing bottles of goodness will get more from it.

I play heavy rock/ metal in the two bands I am in, and really dig that warm, vintage, growly classic rock tone, so any pointers greatly recieved.

Thanks in advance,
Rich :-)

Cheers for the Talkbass tip.

I will be ringing a friend of mine, as he used to repair TV's in the 60's, and 70's, and he still has boxes full of NOS valves, such as Mullard, etc, so I'm definately going to be picking his brains!!

Just had a look at the Watford Valves site, the Svetlana winged C's, and the Tung-Sol are looking good at the moment.

Thanks Chaps :-)

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1074454' date='Jan 1 2011, 03:54 PM']Matamp swear by JJ tubes, not sure if they'd be ideal for an Ampeg but another option to bear in mind.[/quote]

I agree 100'000% to this,[b] J/J Valves [/b]are the best around and it's what Ashdown fits to their high quality amps

See link here: [url="http://www.jj-electronic.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=10"]http://www.jj-electronic.com/index.php?opt...5&Itemid=10[/url]

[quote name='ahpook' post='1073193' date='Dec 30 2010, 09:49 PM']have a word with watford valves...i did when i needed to re-valve my svp-pro and it sounds great[/quote]

(thread hijack) - do you know which one (of the 5) makes the most different with regards to signal to noise ratio - I've just had a new transformer fitted to my SVP PRO and am back in the studio recording with it, but it's a bit hissy. It's probably always been this hissy, but now that I'm recording through higher spec kit it's really noticeable. It was re-tubed 2 years ago (EHX valves), but the tubes have had less than 20 hours use since then. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. cheers. (/thread hijack)

[quote name='paul_5' post='1074919' date='Jan 2 2011, 12:28 AM'](thread hijack) - do you know which one (of the 5) makes the most different with regards to signal to noise ratio - I've just had a new transformer fitted to my SVP PRO and am back in the studio recording with it, but it's a bit hissy. It's probably always been this hissy, but now that I'm recording through higher spec kit it's really noticeable. It was re-tubed 2 years ago (EHX valves), but the tubes have had less than 20 hours use since then. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. cheers. (/thread hijack)[/quote]

well, as i'm sure you know, the svp-pro is a noisy unit...i did do some looking around online a while back and couldn't find any conclusive answers.

using decent quality valves is the best way i think.

edit: [url="http://music-electronics-forum.com/t7770/"]here's [/url] and interesting thread

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='1074920' date='Jan 2 2011, 12:33 AM']well, as i'm sure you know, the svp-pro is a noisy unit...i did do some looking around online a while back and couldn't find any conclusive answers.

using decent quality valves is the best way i think.[/quote]
yeah, had heard that. Cheers for your prompt response, looks like I'm going shopping (again). Ho Hum, GAS 1, NY resolution 0...

[quote name='paul_5' post='1074923' date='Jan 2 2011, 12:36 AM']yeah, had heard that. Cheers for your prompt response, looks like I'm going shopping (again). Ho Hum, GAS 1, NY resolution 0...[/quote]

i know what you mean, the hiss is ok for live work, but gets on my nerves a bit at home.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1074906' date='Jan 2 2011, 12:00 AM']I agree 100'000% to this,[b] J/J Valves [/b]are the best around and it's what Ashdown fits to their high quality amps

See link here: [url="http://www.jj-electronic.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=10"]http://www.jj-electronic.com/index.php?opt...5&Itemid=10[/url][/quote]

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look :)

I have heard good things about JJ's. To be honest, I wish that I could have a huge box of valves, and spend the day swapping about, and finding something that I really like, but that would cost a kings ransom!! :)