Why become a member? ×

Common Ashdown problem?

thinman

My 13 month-old MAG300 combo blew its mains fuse mid-song (practice fortunately) and every replacement fuse (I'm refering to the 3.15A one in the IEC mains connector). It's not had a hard life, wasn't up that loud and no extension cabinet ever used.

Bit disappointed by that really. Is this a common ailment of these?

I mailed Guy at Ashdown who replied very promptly and he though the mains transformer had probably gone (no visible signs of meltdown inside).

To give Ashdown their due, after a bit of a moan from me, Guy has offered to repair under warranty even though it's a month outside but I'd rather it hadn't blown in the first place. I though those toroidal transformers were supposed to be quite tough (if built properly).

Still, it's spurred me on to think further about building a Bill F Omni 10 and getting a new head.

[quote name='Hamster' post='122458' date='Jan 17 2008, 09:33 PM']I think Guy has become more helpful because he has read all our complaints on the forum about the known problem with their mains transformers :)

Hamster[/quote]
Thanks for the replies. It's not doing my confidence much good though!

I wonder if the replacement parts are improved versions or if I'm just starting a new lottery!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='thinman' post='123050' date='Jan 18 2008, 07:09 PM']Thanks for the replies. It's not doing my confidence much good though!

I wonder if the replacement parts are improved versions or if I'm just starting a new lottery![/quote]

Well it's been in for a week at the Ashdown dealers. When I rang they said it will be at least another two weeks as Ashdown are out of spare transformers! Maybe they've had a bit of a run on them but I think I'll check with Ashdown.

That's a bummer - have a gig in two weeks. Will have to hire something now.

Can anyone recommend any good hire firms in north west Kent?

[quote name='thinman' post='128458' date='Jan 26 2008, 09:51 PM']Well it's been in for a week at the Ashdown dealers. When I rang they said it will be at least another two weeks as Ashdown are out of spare transformers! Maybe they've had a bit of a run on them but I think I'll check with Ashdown.

That's a bummer - have a gig in two weeks. Will have to hire something now.

Can anyone recommend any good hire firms in north west Kent?[/quote]

You must know someone that would lend you something for the night?
Where's the gig?

Nick.

[quote name='NickThomas' post='128472' date='Jan 26 2008, 10:26 PM']You must know someone that would lend you something for the night?
Where's the gig?

Nick.[/quote]
Nick,

Only playing my local in Sevenoaks..

I'm now hoping to borrow a friend of a friend's Trace combo but it's a little indefinite at present. A reasonable backline hire firm would be useful as plan B though.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='thinman' post='128813' date='Jan 27 2008, 06:11 PM']Nick,

Only playing my local in Sevenoaks..

I'm now hoping to borrow a friend of a friend's Trace combo but it's a little indefinite at present. A reasonable backline hire firm would be useful as plan B though.

Mike[/quote]
Still no transformer!

Not too happy really. I'm having to beg and borrow amps to practice and play with.

Has anyone had one of these go more than once as if it takes this long to get repaired I may as well not bother owning one? It might be better put to use as a bookcase if I take the innards out.

I hope the replacements being shipped now have had any inherent design problem fixed. I borrowed an old 300W Trace GP7 combo last week and liked it better anyway. And it survived being dropped out of the owner's car!

[quote name='thinman' post='141307' date='Feb 15 2008, 07:32 PM']Still no transformer!

Not too happy really. I'm having to beg and borrow amps to practice and play with.

Has anyone had one of these go more than once as if it takes this long to get repaired I may as well not bother owning one? It might be better put to use as a bookcase if I take the innards out.

I hope the replacements being shipped now have had any inherent design problem fixed. I borrowed an old 300W Trace GP7 combo last week and liked it better anyway. And it survived being dropped out of the owner's car![/quote]
Well I know there's build diaries on this forum, well this is turning into a repair diary! Sorry if I'm boring people but I think potential Ashdown buyers ought to be aware.

The amp's been in repair for a month now and still Ashdown have no spare transformers. Although Guy at Ashdown has been helpful it's no more than tea and sympathy and I'm without an amp. They still don't know when spares will be available.

I did ask if an off-the-shelf part can be used - I guess it's something like a double 35v output 500VA transformer - but he wasn't very forthcoming about that!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what would you consumer affairs experts do here or am I asking too much?

Ashdown still have no spare MAG transformers. I've been without the amp for 6 weeks now waiting on repair. I don't think that's reasonable.

Each time I ask when to expect the transformers it's "two weeks".

Needless to say I'm not too impressed with Ashdown.

I've suggested they source an off-the-shelf transformer if they can't provide their own (I'm sure some equivalent exists) and have now asked they simply exchange the head if they can't repair mine. No response to either.

Exasperated bloke.

[quote name='thinman' post='148102' date='Feb 27 2008, 09:09 PM']Well, what would you consumer affairs experts do here or am I asking too much?

Ashdown still have no spare MAG transformers. I've been without the amp for 6 weeks now waiting on repair. I don't think that's reasonable.

Each time I ask when to expect the transformers it's "two weeks".

Needless to say I'm not too impressed with Ashdown.

I've suggested they source an off-the-shelf transformer if they can't provide their own (I'm sure some equivalent exists) and have now asked they simply exchange the head if they can't repair mine. No response to either.

Exasperated bloke.[/quote]

Can you not try and wangle a loan from Ashdown? It's the least they could do.

[quote name='Machines' post='148226' date='Feb 28 2008, 08:33 AM']Perhaps drop them another email with a link to this thread ?[/quote]
After much moaning from me on Friday and suggesting that if they have no transformers by this coming Wednesday then they should either give me a new head or buy the amp back off me Martin at Ashdown agreed that 6 weeks so far is perhaps a long wait.

He then suggested that they might cannibalise a new head (???) to get a transformer for me.

And yes, perhaps I should point them at this thread as I imagine a fair few people have read it by now.....

[quote name='thinman' post='149622' date='Mar 1 2008, 09:05 PM']After much moaning from me on Friday and suggesting that if they have no transformers by this coming Wednesday then they should either give me a new head or buy the amp back off me Martin at Ashdown agreed that 6 weeks so far is perhaps a long wait.

He then suggested that they might cannibalise a new head (???) to get a transformer for me.

And yes, perhaps I should point them at this thread as I imagine a fair few people have read it by now.....[/quote]

Fixed at last - what a carry on......I can put it up for sale now.

[quote name='thinman' post='151320' date='Mar 4 2008, 08:43 PM']Fixed at last - what a carry on......I can put it up for sale now.[/quote]
One final whinge...Having gone a picked the amp up from ESE Music in Maidstone, where it was repaired, I was asked to pay the £15 P&P on the transormer. Given the repair was done under warranty I thought it a bit strange to be covering costs such as that.

Anyway, maybe stupidly, I paid up as it's a bloody pain dring back and forth there.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='thinman' post='153563' date='Mar 8 2008, 01:18 PM']One final whinge...Having gone a picked the amp up from ESE Music in Maidstone, where it was repaired, I was asked to pay the £15 P&P on the transormer. Given the repair was done under warranty I thought it a bit strange to be covering costs such as that.

Anyway, maybe stupidly, I paid up as it's a bloody pain dring back and forth there.[/quote]

D'oh ! You should have argued on that one.

[quote name='Machines' post='166224' date='Mar 30 2008, 08:28 AM']D'oh ! You should have argued on that one.[/quote]
I questioned Ashdown about this charge. I was told that coverage of such costs is at the dealer's discretion. I do think it strange though - to me a warrantly repair is at no cost to the customer. TBH I lost the will to argue the toss!

As regards Linus27's concerns, I couldn't get an answer out of Ashdown as to whether newer transformers are improved at all. I've heard on this forum that it was 2006 models that were problematic - I bought mine December 2006. It'll be up for sale shortly.

The owner of the shop in Maidstone where I bought it and got it repaired was adamant that he never sees problems with those amps (though his assistant raised an eyebrow at this behind his back).

In my opinion Ashdown need to work hard on improving their quality reputation. If they could sort that their products would be good value if you like the sound.