Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb 5

ThomBassmonkey

This is my first expensive bass, but the sound of the Sandberg is better to my ears and although this has the slightly lower action, there's very little in it and the Sandy's still more than playable.

This is a 2002 model, it has the thinner neck (it's no Jazz, but it's no club either) that some have.

Sounds great, just like you'd want a Warwick to sound. There's various live videos on youtube of my band, the James Warner Prophecies where you can hear it in a band context. (the Breathe In video, despite it being in the video, it was my Ibanez being played on the actual song).

When I got it, it did have problems with the neck, but it's had several hundred pounds worth of work on it and it's stunning now. I play very hard and I struggle to get fret buzz, even when I specifically try. The action height at the 12th is about a pound coin. The only other notable negative is that the just-a-nut tabs were broken by the luthier when he did the work on the neck, annoying but only in a perfectionist kinda way. It doesn't affect anything about the bass, it's not even really visible unless you look closely and it's a very common problem with them. It also needs some new strings due to a waxing incident. :)

To be honest, I do love this bass, I've just got VGAS (I'm coining that to mean Vague GAS. I don't know what I want, I just want something :lol: ). I know I'm going to regret this, so there's no rush to get rid of it.

I've spent nearly £1000 on this with buying it and repairs, I'd stick about £850 value on it for trades, I also have a proper Warwick Rock Case for it which I'd consider throwing in if the deal was right and I'd consider trading a little down.

I'm prepared to look at offers with cash my way too.

For trades, I'm interested in pretty much anything. Preferably 5+ strings with MM pups, but I'm pretty open to suggestions if it's something nice. Something like a ray 5 would hit the spot.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, those pics are a bit old but it looks exactly the same, even after fairly extensive gigging in the year I've had it. If anyone is seriously interested and wants more detailed photos, let me know.

I'm not in any serious rush to get rid of this bass, so no, I won't accept £500 for it or do a straight swap for your mint condition VMJ. :)

Thom

p.s. Feedback thread in my sig, it's a bit new though so not much going on yet hehe.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

I've done a setup on the Sandberg, it actually needs the saddles filed to get the action any lower, but it'd buzz if it were any lower, I get a bit of clack (only a little when I get carried away and go into terminator mode on the strings at gigs) at the moment anyway. It's only maybe a mil or two higher than the Warwick, there's really not much in it. I'm just being picky. I've put up the wick instead of the Sandy, so that should say it all since I really do love this bass.

Ash, to put it simply, yes. The Sandberg plays 95% of the wick and after a fair old conversation with a sound guy that knows us inside out, he says it fits with the band's sound over-all (in terms of gear) and gives him more room for EQing so I'm more than happy with it. :)

I've had questions about the neck repair, sorry for being quite vague on it, I was busy tearing my hair out as to whether or not I should sell! :)

Basically when I bought it, there was some fret buzz around the 6th fret on the D and G strings, the truss rod wasn't fixing it (without creating buzz elsewhere) and the action had to be raised quite a lot before it would go so I took it in to Nigel (Leicester Luthier) who (I think) defretted it and straightened the neck (I think he planed and sanded) then re-fretted it.

When I originally played the bass (before handing over the cash), it was strung E-C and, playing it lightly, I had no problems (I assumed it was just a set-up issue when I played heavily), so the actual problem wasn't that severe, but I'm a perfectionist (and a heavy player) on that kind of thing and it irritated me no end to get the buzz just in that one spot so I felt I needed to have it fixed.

Just to clarify, it wasn't a severely damaged neck that's been weakened by being glued or anything, it's had relatively minor (yet still expensive) work done to it. The end result is that it's a bass that's had it's fretboard shaped to suit the body. It plays superbly with a low action and no fretbuzz or clacking at all. Any featherfingers interested could lower the action even more without any hassle I expect.

The other thing worth mentioning (just for completeness) is that there was some concern about the truss rod being quite tightly wound, but after Nigel did the repairs he took another look at it and the end result was that it'd be fine, it only even came up because I used to use very heavy strings (he's confirmed that it would be fine if I chose to use them again, I've become attached to mediums now though). I've set it up since getting it back and it works like a charm though so I'm happy selling it without the warning, I just don't want to miss anything.

Here's a link to a live video it's used in: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD-ad7mIShE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD-ad7mIShE[/url] The signal is bass -> GK 700RB-II amp DI out -> mixer -> recording.

Ok, gonna open this up a little, I'm prepared to look at cash offers around the £850 mark, I'd also look at cheaper 5/6ers plus cash.

Things I'm especially interested in:

Musicman (Bongo or Ray, pref 2 pup version) 5/6er.
G&L Tribute L2500 + cash my way.
Sandberg PM5.
SBMM Ray 35 + cash my way.
EUB + cash my way.
Something with some meaty 'buckers. :)

Not interested in amps or FX, sorry.

Open to all offers though, WHY? Come tempt me. :)

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

It's good that you've been open about the neck repairs, which sound relatively minor as you say! It's worth remembering that an Alembic that had had the headstock snapped off and reattached sold here recently for nearly £2000, so a little neck work shouldn't put a potential buyer off.

When I think about the best £590 I've ever spent in my time, my thoughts go back to my Warwick Thumb 4 string. Awesome bass, absolutely awesome!

Thanks Chris, they are lovely basses. Been after one for about 8 years, who'd have known that I'd have found something else within a year of owning it? And yep, the neck work's insignificant enough (in work at least, cost enough hehe) that no one would lose out if I didn't mention it. :) As said though, I'd rather be totally honest.

Forgot to mention before! When it went in for the neck repair, I had the jack socket switched out for a switchcraft too. :lol:

Some more pics (taken on my phone, so unless the light is just right, they can turn out a bit odd hehe):

Another shot of the body from a different angle:

Back of the headstock, inc serial number, running it through the warwick database returned this:

Serial No.:
D-092013-02
Article Code:
1225080000BZOVAOWW
produced:
15/05/2002
Info:
Thumb BO, 5-string
Natural Oil finish
Ovangkol body
Ovangkol neck
Black hardware

I forgot to mention before, the MEC logos on the pups are a little worn and there is a mark on the "neck" (if you can call it that on a thumb) pup from a string. Purely aesthetic but you might as well know. :D

Action at 12th fret, sorry it's a bit blurry, couldn't get enough natural light to please my camera. This pic also shows off the grain on the side of the board, which I love.

Classic "down the neck" shot. Sadly the strings aren't made of LEDs, it's just the light reflecting. :)

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

• 1 month later...

Bump again.

Lowest cash price I'll go is £750 and I'll include the case. This bass cost me a lot more (I never even got back the money from the guy that sold it to me needing the repairs, he disappeared quickly off the forum, reappearing only briefly to sell some cabs...) so I want to minimise the loss on this even though it's going to be hundreds anyway.

I'm willing to look at whatever trades people offer though. :) I'm especially interested in 5/6 with MM style pup(s). Pref cash my way but maybe a straight trade depending on what's on offer.

Thanks

The pictures are a bit dark but how about this?
[attachment=71839:IMG_2132.JPG]
[attachment=71840:IMG_2133.JPG]
[attachment=71841:IMG_2134.JPG]
[attachment=71843:IMG_2135.JPG]
[attachment=71844:IMG_2136.JPG]
[attachment=71845:IMG_2138.JPG]
[attachment=71846:IMG_2140.JPG]
[attachment=71847:IMG_2141.JPG]
[attachment=71848:IMG_2142.JPG]
[attachment=71849:IMG_2143.JPG]

Bump up. Got a couple of potential offers but nothing definite.

Worth mentioning that this is a proper Warwick "rock case" wooden flight case if people are interested in that, not a plastic or softcase.

It's like the one in this link: [url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/33603-rockcase-flight-case-bass-guitar-black.html"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/3360...itar-black.html[/url] but it's been battered about a bit. It's still very sturdy though.