Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Active fender precision special sounds dull

MatthewKeys

Hey there

I own a MIM Fender active precision special, and basically it sounds really dull most of the time. It sounds okay for the first day after putting new strings on (nowhere near as good as it should sound) but after that it is lifeless, it makes my ampeg svt3 sound absolutely rubbish. I've played the exact same rig a few times when I was in the USA in the summer, and it sounded so much better than mine does.

So I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what it might be that is causing this? :) thanks in advance! I am pretty sure it's the bass that is the problem here as it sounds horrible when DI'd too.

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-active-p-bass-special-chrome-red-maple/15792"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-active-p-ba...red-maple/15792[/url]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1070504' date='Dec 27 2010, 08:49 PM']Are you using Roto strings? Some folk like them and some people like a dull P but if you want some zing then that's the first thing to lose if they are Roto's.[/quote]

hey there, i've used a lot of brands, rotosound included, both the nickel and the steel ones. My current set are elixir, they sound better, but my bass in general still sounds rubbish!

thanks for the input!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1070542' date='Dec 27 2010, 09:19 PM']The stellah cheap I put on my P bass is ok and for £13 you can't go wrong IMO. Not sure if it's going to be the root of the problem, Maybe a pup swap is on the cards too ?[/quote]

I was considering that.. but I need to know what the real cause is of why my bass sounds rubbish. My bass sounded good in the shops, and i've played the same bass in many other shops and it sounds really good with stock pickups, so I don't think that's the problem.

Could something with the wiring or the pots be causing this?

Sounds like the general set-up of the bass is not that great.
You need the acoustic sound of the bass to be clean...and it should be if the strings are pretty new
so is the acoustic sound good or dull as well.

If the acoustic sound is dull..then your strings aren't resonating well enough and you might need to take it to a gtr tech for a decent set-up...
If the acoustic sound is fine..then it could be pick-ups not being good enough or shot.

A poor set-up can kill strings IMO and give the bass a dead feel all over, possibly.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1070551' date='Dec 27 2010, 09:32 PM']Sounds like the general set-up of the bass is not that great.
You need the acoustic sound of the bass to be clean...and it should be if the strings are pretty new
so is the acoustic sound good or dull as well.

If the acoustic sound is dull..then your strings aren't resonating well enough and you might need to take it to a gtr tech for a decent set-up...
If the acoustic sound is fine..then it could be pick-ups not being good enough or shot.

A poor set-up can kill strings IMO and give the bass a dead feel all over, possibly.[/quote]

the acoustics are not great if i'm honest, this is probably the most likely reason at the moment. Thankyou!

Ok..there isn't much the amp can do if the signal is being strangled, as it were, or rather, hindered somewhat..!!

If it were me, I'd have a go at the set-up myself but if you don't feel confident about this...then take it to someone who knows 1st time round.

I only know a few amp techs in Maidstone but maybe there are a few gtr guys in Medway.
I would suggest Andy Crockett and maybe ESE have someone on their books.
This sort of thing should be done by referral, IMV, I wouldn't suggest any old gtr would know what they are doing...they may well do..but I like a referral, myself.

My amp tech is a Maidstone guy, I'll ask him. I need to get him along to a local gig in Maidstone this sat so will ask around.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1070589' date='Dec 27 2010, 10:20 PM']Ok..there isn't much the amp can do if the signal is being strangled, as it were, or rather, hindered somewhat..!!

If it were me, I'd have a go at the set-up myself but if you don't feel confident about this...then take it to someone who knows 1st time round.

I only know a few amp techs in Maidstone but maybe there are a few gtr guys in Medway.
I would suggest Andy Crockett and maybe ESE have someone on their books.
This sort of thing should be done by referral, IMV, I wouldn't suggest any old gtr would know what they are doing...they may well do..but I like a referral, myself.

My amp tech is a Maidstone guy, I'll ask him. I need to get him along to a local gig in Maidstone this sat so will ask around.[/quote]

Thanks for the help everyone. I will take it down to my local music store tomorrow and see what they can do for me.