Why become a member? ×

Best Stand for a Nitro-finish bass

Old Horse Murphy

I've just got hold of a Jazz bass with a Nitro finish and wondered waht's the best stand for it. In the past, I've seen a few basses that have reacted to stands with foam on and wondered if anyone has any suggestions.

Failing that, I'll just throw an old T-Shirt or something over the stand and use it like that.

I did a thread on this a while back Nick [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=103316&hl=stand+nitro"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=stand+nitro[/url]

I have ended up with T-shirts on a Warwick Rockstand. The only ones that are 'guaranteed' to have non-reactive foam (as far as I can recall) are Hercules stands but I don't like the hanging ones (unstable in my view) and the portable gig one has nothing to prevent the bass tipping forwards

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1068715' date='Dec 24 2010, 01:27 PM']I did a thread on this a while back Nick (http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=103316&hl=stand+nitro)

I have ended up with T-shirts on a Warwick Rockstand. The only ones that are 'guaranteed' to have non-reactive foam (as far as I can recall) are Hercules stands but I don't like the hanging ones (unstable in my view) and the portable gig one has nothing to prevent the bass tipping forwards[/quote]

Thanks mate

I'm going to save myself a lot of bother by just asking you everything in the first instance as it's generally you who gives me the answer anyway!!

MODS- is it possible to get an "Ask Clarky" button on my profile?

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='1068723' date='Dec 24 2010, 01:33 PM']Thanks mate

I'm going to save myself a lot of bother by just asking you everything in the first instance as it's generally you who gives me the answer anyway!!

MODS- is it possible to get an "Ask Clarky" button on my profile?[/quote]
The yoda of BassChat am I :)

The t-shirt trick only slows down the process, the gasses given off by the foam will still work their way through the material, only at a slower rate. That said, I suspect it would be years before any issues became apparent. I wonder if wrapping clingfilm around the foam before putting a t-shirt over it would be the ultimate answer?

Yep - I have the Hercules 5 bass stand at home and wouldn't trust in a live situation. Very unstable and nothing to prevent falling forward.

My Warwick bass has very slight wood tone variation on the neck from previous stand but only noticable from players viewpoint.

I use an old beer towel I "borrowed" many yrs ago from a bar I used to frequent. Also doubles as a towel for cleaning strings at end of gig.

Cheers
Dave