Why become a member? ×

logs to axe 3. ziricote carl thompson copy

lettsguitars

while we wait for ed's pickups it hought i'd have a go at a ct copy. the scroll bass is something i've been wanting to try for a long time. i'm a massive fan of carl thompson's work. his youtube channel is to die for and i learned a lot from carl thanks to his vids. all construction methods are identical to carl's apart from the heel block, which i wont be using. this bass is open to offers and if you really want a ct feel, i can add a heel block.
mahogany core, ziricote top, rosewood back, mahogany neck and macassar ebony fingerboard (a stripey beauty) and cocobolo cat's eyes. this bass will have a custom, handmade, scatterwound i.m.p humbucker and hipshot ultralite tuners.

quarter sawn mahogany is the neck wood of choice for me. i dont like necks to be too stiff. as long as the wood is stable and has a nice straight grainpattern, you're laughing. mahogany offers great flexibility and adjustability. + when i start messing about with all those laminates, theres more chance i'll lose it.
and talking about losing it. . . .
i lost a massive peice of rosewood from the back of the scroll, d*&n it! tried to rescue the body but lost heart and had to accept that i'd lost a lot of time and more upsetting, a lot of nice timber. these things happen. anyroad, i managed to scrape some bits together and get a new body in order, double quick time. the neck is not set. be it bolt-on. radius tomorrow, bit more sanding, some holes, bridge and strings. and, if things go the way they have been so far, i'll be showing how to remove a truss rod from your eye.
new body-mahogany, ziricote, walnut, sycamore. a bit strange really, still cool though.

[quote name='henry norton' post='1070931' date='Dec 28 2010, 01:27 PM']Well the Thunderbird had a 34.5" scale mahogany neck - mahogany is lighter than rock maple but is still very strong. It's also very stable.[/quote]

Cool. I've always fancied a bass with a mahogany neck (my dad has a mahogany necked guitar and it feels fantastic), but had previously been told it wasn't possible. Interesting stuff.

Sorry for the thread divert I'll let you get back on track. :)

• 3 weeks later...

This is gorgeous...
How does it sound at this point?

Pliz put a pickup near the bridge, sometimes people just go for the "neck" one, and lots of us can't bear it... (argh, i'm guessing this is just what u did and i've seen this bass in the "for sale" section haven't I?)
Beautiful fretboard, beautiful bass...
Cheers
Flo

Edited by k-sad

[quote name='k-sad' post='1098498' date='Jan 22 2011, 11:33 AM']This is gorgeous...

Pliz put a pickup near the bridge, sometimes people just go for the "neck" one, and lots of us can't bear it... (argh, i'm guessing this is just what u did and i've seen this bass in the "for sale" section haven't I?)
Cheers
Flo[/quote]
actually, no. this body is now knocking around with no neck ( like sandi toksvig). i used the neck on the cocobolo 5 string also in the for sale section.
i wasn't keen on some of the wood on this. i'll revive it at a later date.

[quote name='k-sad' post='1098498' date='Jan 22 2011, 11:33 AM']This is gorgeous...

Cheers
Flo[/quote]
and regarding bridge pup. i am considering adding a a bridge bucker and maybe a single coil to the 4 string build if i get no offers. i'm considering hanging on to it as i don't have a bass of my own. :)