Why become a member? ×

Does anyone on here have a Warwick Starbass?

warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1066555' date='Dec 22 2010, 10:49 AM']Just wondered if anyone has one and looking for thoughts, opinions and info... anybody know how they balance?[/quote]

Never tried one but looking at the specs of the neck - Ovangkol and Bubinga, that's some pretty heavy wood to be using on a neck for a bass. Even though the top horn position is in traditionally the wrong place, the fact that it's hollow body and consequently going to be a lot, lot lighter than a slab body, I'd say there is a good chance it will. The well known Bubinga solid bodies from Warwick can be very heavy - but on those, as you'll well know, have the top horn floating around the 12th fret so it will balance.

Whether the bass will sit where you want it whilst on a strap is a different question.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1066693' date='Dec 22 2010, 12:37 PM']...the fact that it's hollow body and consequently going to be a lot, lot lighter than a slab body...[/quote]
IIRC, it's got a solid "sustain block" or somesuch right through the centre (a bit like a neck-through with hollow wings). I'd be interested to find out how much it weighs... and the weight difference between the bubinga and maple versions.

Of course, that extra weight in the body might help counteract the neck-dive from the short top horn.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1066703' date='Dec 22 2010, 12:45 PM']IIRC, it's got a solid "sustain block" or somesuch right through the centre (a bit like a neck-through with hollow wings). I'd be interested to find out how much it weighs... and the weight difference between the bubinga and maple versions.

Of course, that extra weight in the body might help counteract the neck-dive from the short top horn.[/quote]

Even with a sustain block, the air (as opposed to wood) in the wings is going to do wonders in keeping the weight down.

Maple isn't particularly light either!

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1066709' date='Dec 22 2010, 12:50 PM']Bootsy Collins has got one hasn't he? Ask him if you can borrow it.

Truckstop[/quote]

I suspect you are thinking of this -

OP is thinking of this -

I think...?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1066707' date='Dec 22 2010, 12:48 PM']Even with a sustain block, the air (as opposed to wood) in the wings is going to do wonders in keeping the weight down.

Maple isn't particularly light either![/quote]
Indeed. A quick look on the Warwick website (why didn't I think of that before? :) ) [i]claims[/i] that the bubinga and maple versions are both 4.3 kg (4-string). That's about 9½ lb... but of course there'll be big variations around that average weight.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1066718' date='Dec 22 2010, 12:55 PM']Indeed. A quick look on the Warwick website (why didn't I think of that before? :) ) [i]claims[/i] that the bubinga and maple versions are both 4.3 kg (4-string). That's about 9½ lb... but of course there'll be big variations around that average weight.[/quote]

Quite weighty for a hollowbody... but not unmanageable by any means. That's if the claimed weight is accurate.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1066781' date='Dec 22 2010, 01:55 PM']You're all thinking the same things as me and as for manufacturers 'guesstimates' which from personal experience can be as much as a lb or two either way; my Lakland Skyline JO was a classic case.

Now if we can find someone who actually owns one... :)[/quote]

I'll keep 'em peeled.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1066718' date='Dec 22 2010, 01:55 PM']Indeed. A quick look on the Warwick website (why didn't I think of that before? :) ) [i]claims[/i] that the bubinga and maple versions are both 4.3 kg (4-string). That's about 9½ lb... but of course there'll be big variations around that average weight.[/quote]

Sad to say there's not much weight saving with semi hollows due to the big old chunk of maple up the middle - Gibson ES335s weigh in at around 8lb so another pound and a half sounds about right for a heavier, longer neck and probably heavier (German quality!) construction, heavier machines and hardware. I might have gone for one if they'd made a shorter scale version - they certainly look the part.