Why become a member? ×

Squire Vintage modified jazz help

Tomikaze

Hi, I've been lurking on this site for a while and thought you guys might be able to give me some advice. I really like the look of the Squier Vintage modified jazz bass and think I will get myself during the Christmas period. I want to hear about your experiences of the construction of the guitar, specifically how closely the grain is matched in the body. A shop near me has them in stock for £260 but I could get one online for £225 and put the money saved towards an upgraded bridge or pots if I feel it is necessary. I've heard lots of good stuff about this bass but is buying online a safe bet or do you think I should spend the extra cash and check the guitar out properly? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Tomikaze' post='1065637' date='Dec 21 2010, 01:30 PM']Hi, I've been lurking on this site for a while and thought you guys might be able to give me some advice. I really like the look of the Squier Vintage modified jazz bass and think I will get myself during the Christmas period. I want to hear about your experiences of the construction of the guitar, specifically how closely the grain is matched in the body. A shop near me has them in stock for £260 but I could get one online for £225 and put the money saved towards an upgraded bridge or pots if I feel it is necessary. I've heard lots of good stuff about this bass but is buying online a safe bet or do you think I should spend the extra cash and check the guitar out properly? Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I'd probably try locally and tell them I could buy it online for £35 less.
For the sake of £35 I'd probably ask them to throw in a set of bass strings to make the difference up...

[quote name='Tomikaze' post='1065637' date='Dec 21 2010, 01:30 PM']Hi, I've been lurking on this site for a while and thought you guys might be able to give me some advice. I really like the look of the Squier Vintage modified jazz bass and think I will get myself during the Christmas period. I want to hear about your experiences of the construction of the guitar, specifically how closely the grain is matched in the body. A shop near me has them in stock for £260 but I could get one online for £225 and put the money saved towards an upgraded bridge or pots if I feel it is necessary. I've heard lots of good stuff about this bass but is buying online a safe bet or do you think I should spend the extra cash and check the guitar out properly? Thanks in advance.[/quote]
I recently bought the fretless version of this, I am very happy with it, for the money they seem a very good buy.

[quote name='Tomikaze' post='1065659' date='Dec 21 2010, 01:49 PM']You're probably right, I may give that a go.

I have a MIM fretless that I've had for about 10 years, I'd be interested to compare the build quality to the squire when I get it.

Already got a set of TI jazz roundwounds waiting for it :)[/quote]

I'd be a little careful if you're buying the fretless. The one I have had some of its plastic fret markers protruding very slightly from the slots in the fingerboard, making for a buzz when you 'fretted' on the mark. Nasty. I've read elsewhere that this can be a problem. So if I were you I'd check by rubbing a fingernail down the neck and feeling for ridges. A good argument for not buying online.

I've (almost) sorted mine by rubbing the board down with fine sandpaper and then using a polishing compound (the stuff you revive car paintjobs with). It's much better, but still not perfect on some frets (even though I can't feel a ridge anymore). That might be because I'm using rounds and they show up a problem like that very easily. Having said that, even with flats the trouble was pretty clear before the sanding job.

Otherwise, a very nice bass indeed with a very playable neck.

Edited by fatback

[quote name='gary mac' post='1065752' date='Dec 21 2010, 03:11 PM']I've got a VMJ and it's a very very good bass. I would advise you to try before buying though as the first three I tried were decidely ropey one way or another.
Also some of them are very heavy, for example my daughters one is over 11lb.[/quote]

+1 - All the ones I've seen in shops have been a bit dicey QC-wise, but from pics up on here I can see people have some very nice examples so they must be out there. The (fretted) ones I tried sounded really nice though.

They are variable - when you get a good one then they are great, but if build quality concerns you then it really would be worth paying the extra to source from a local shop you can visit personally.

I also find the fretted VMs to sound quite average too - make sure you try a CV first, just in case you prefer it - I know I did, and I liked the look (initially) of the VM more!

[quote name='Moos3h' post='1065781' date='Dec 21 2010, 03:35 PM']They are variable - when you get a good one then they are great, but if build quality concerns you then it really would be worth paying the extra to source from a local shop you can visit personally.

I also find the fretted VMs to sound quite average too - make sure you try a CV first, just in case you prefer it - I know I did, and I liked the look (initially) of the VM more![/quote]

Thanks, I will give it a go. Reckon I will end up with the VM though as I'm looking for maple fretboard. You are right I really should check it out, I don't want to end up with a dud and ,although people have lots of praise for them, they cant possibly [i]all[/i] be great for less that £300!

[quote name='gary mac' post='1065752' date='Dec 21 2010, 03:11 PM']I've got a VMJ and it's a very very good bass. I would advise you to try before buying though as the first three I tried were decidely ropey one way or another.
Also some of them are very heavy, for example my daughters one is over 11lb.[/quote]

Yeah, my fretless feels like an entire tree sometimes. I want a bass to get a bit funky with and I move around I'm playing so I really don't want to end up with an overly heavy bass.

[quote name='Tomikaze' post='1065896' date='Dec 21 2010, 04:45 PM']Thanks, I will give it a go. Reckon I will end up with the VM though as I'm looking for maple fretboard. You are right I really should check it out, I don't want to end up with a dud and ,although people have lots of praise for them, they cant possibly [i]all[/i] be great for less that £300![/quote]

I have a Squier classic vibe 60's Precision (£280 new on line) and believe me it's superb. Can't fault it..

Steve