Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Basses

megallica

I have to admit to only ever playing an Ibanez Soundgear before and not being that impressed but recently I've spotted a few older Ibanez basses listed on ebay and really like the look of them.

I think the Musician is a little out of my price range but I'm quite interested in the Roadster, Roadstar or ATK 400.

Any advice from the basschat community?

The ATK series basses are very good but it completely depends on what sort of style you are going for. Ibanez basses are renowned for being good basses to use for Metal genres, the ATK bass is very punchy and metallic even if you have the mids turned down. Also, ATK basses are a bit lighter, but I havn't tried the Roadster/Roadstar so I can't offer any advice there.

I really like the Soundgear basses. One of the best basses I've had was a K5, lovely bass to play for any genre, very comfortable. For me, ergonomically, I think Ibanez basses are superb, and even the budget models I have tried have been very playable. I can only repeat what I've said in the past, you can play any style of music on any model of bass, period.

[quote name='Rayman' post='1065213' date='Dec 20 2010, 10:07 PM']I really like the Soundgear basses. One of the best basses I've had was a K5, lovely bass to play for any genre, very comfortable. For me, ergonomically, I think Ibanez basses are superb, and even the budget models I have tried have been very playable. I can only repeat what I've said in the past, you can play any style of music on any model of bass, period.[/quote]

From what I remember of the Soundgear I played, it was very playable but I prefered the sound of the Yamaha BBG5S, which I eventually bought.
That was 1998 and I'm sure the range has changed a lot in the past 12 years!

You can't go far wrong with an Ibby, vintage or modern. I've presently got an early 70s Precision copy, an '81 RS924 Roadster and a 2004-ish EDA900 - all very different basses but all excellent. For years my two main basses were a fretted & a fretless SR800 - recently parted with both and I'm regretting that a bit - and having gas for [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310279661379"]one of these[/url] ain't helping!

I've also got a project Blazer - presently in bits and requiring a refin, a few bits & bobs and a bucket of TLC. Hopefully I'll find a chance to get stuck into that soon.

Jon.