Why become a member? ×

Learning new technique makes my face ache

Mr. Foxen

I realised why I can play descending scales loads faster than ascending ones a while back. I use three fingers: ring-middle index, and that corresponds to the three fretting fingers order, so it co-ordinates easily. So I figured to play ascending as fast I need to learn to reverse the finger order going up, so when I want to do extended widdling I can go up and down rather than falling off the bottom eventually.

Problem I'm having is that I'm pulling practicing faces that I haven't for years and my face really aches after about half an hour.

Rather than trying to reverse your picking hand to coordinate with your fretting hand,just slow down and be methodical about playing ascending patterns. If you are coordinating 3 fingers on each hand you'll hut problems when you gave to play 2 or 4 note patterns.
Also,when descending a lot of people use raking which allows you to play quicker.You can't do that when you are playing ascending scales.

As far as pulling faces goes,as long as the wind doesn't change,it won't stick and you'll be fine.

It is an interesting phenomenon though, Mr. F. I have noticed since taking up the double bass and entering a new phase of consistent practice, that I clench my teeth when I practice. As a result, my jaw also aches and I have to make a concerted effort to relax my facial muscles. I believe that the best playing takes place when you are relaxed so feel that this is something that genuinely needs attention. So let's all RELAAAAAAAAAAAAX!