Why become a member? ×

quest for best Rhythm exercises

PhatMasterFunk

Hello, I try and practise as much as i can and I play regularly as well. I'v taken on a full time job and my hrs to practise have been greatly diminished. I am looking for the most effective exercises in developing rhythm and timing (tempo). The best exercise I've found is to play a song I know at say 100bpm, then 50 and 25. This has been excellent and I highly recomend it for tempo exercises. If any one can post links or give advise on how to achieve (as close to as possible) perfect rhythm, you would forever be my funk brother

Peace n Love :) :)

I think it's all relative. It depends if you have a good sense of rhythm and timing and if the pieces you are trying to play are above or below your level of ability. Fairly obviously, if it's above, you need to practice it very slowly with a timing reference or a metronome, paying careful attention to your timing. Only move up 10 bpm if you are completely fluent, by which I mean you are able to confidently play the piece ten times without any errors at all.

You could mean, by your question, that you are looking to develop rhythmic expression and dynamics while playing in "perfect" time. There is no such thing as "perfect rhythm" IMO. It is subjective. However, I do think that there is a lot of bullshit spoken about playing behind or in front of the beat. Just play in time and eventually you will build in the expression as you grow as a musician.

I have no idea of your level of expertise on the bass, but something I like to do for fun and practice is to develop dynamic muting rhythms while finger picking constant quavers and semi-quavers. accenting (with the picking hand) and muting (with the fretting hand) certain of the notes. You can create very interesting and challenging rhythmic patterns and odd time signatures. I do it on my own but you could do it with a metronome. It can be an incredibly funky experience, especially when you start adding interesting notes to the patterns you create.