Why become a member? ×

Finale 2011 vs Sibelius 6

EBS_freak

I've not really got enough experience on both pieces of software to give a fully valid opinion.

I've been using sibelius for about 6/7 years and find it incredibly easy to use.

I used Finale for about 2 years, just over a year ago, and personally found it quite amateurish compared to sibelius, and it seemed to take me longer to do what i wanted to do. But that could be down to being so use to sibelius.

From what i've read online, it normally comes down to what your using the software for. If you planning on writing scores and concentrating on playback using virtual instruments & all that side of it, afaik Finale has better routing options.

If its simply to write, print & save a digital copy, i'd recommend Sibelius.

I hope that makes sense :)

Been through a fair few progs to be honest and I know what you mean, there is always a slant. I was a long time Logic user but then I switched to Cubase... for no particular reason... and then I've been using tuxguitar as it's free. Whilst it's good for getting a scrapbook of stuff together, it's nowhere near the league of the big hitters - especially on the printing front, hence the interest in getting the scores looking good.

Historically, I would have been looking at Finale for the big scores (dabbled a fair bit with big band scores about 5 or 6 years ago) but now I'm now into my solo arrangements and getting a good looking print out for when I go senile and can't remember how to play them!

Hmm, I shall see if I can test drive a copy of both and see how I get on. When dropping that much, you don't want to get it wrong!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1057532' date='Dec 13 2010, 05:18 PM']I've not really got enough experience on both pieces of software to give a fully valid opinion.

I've been using sibelius for about 6/7 years and find it incredibly easy to use.

I used Finale for about 2 years, just over a year ago, and personally found it quite amateurish compared to sibelius, and it seemed to take me longer to do what i wanted to do. But that could be down to being so use to sibelius.

From what i've read online, it normally comes down to what your using the software for. If you planning on writing scores and concentrating on playback using virtual instruments & all that side of it, afaik Finale has better routing options.

If its simply to write, print & save a digital copy, i'd recommend Sibelius.

I hope that makes sense :)[/quote]

How do you do the x for mute notes in Sibelius?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1057568' date='Dec 13 2010, 05:48 PM']Been through a fair few progs to be honest and I know what you mean, there is always a slant. I was a long time Logic user but then I switched to Cubase... for no particular reason... and then I've been using tuxguitar as it's free. Whilst it's good for getting a scrapbook of stuff together, it's nowhere near the league of the big hitters - especially on the printing front, hence the interest in getting the scores looking good.

Historically, I would have been looking at Finale for the big scores (dabbled a fair bit with big band scores about 5 or 6 years ago) but now I'm now into my solo arrangements and getting a good looking print out for when I go senile and can't remember how to play them!

Hmm, I shall see if I can test drive a copy of both and see how I get on. When dropping that much, you don't want to get it wrong![/quote]

You can get demos from both pieces of software & try full functionality for free.

Everything i post nowadays has been created on Sibelius. I'm pretty sure all Simon's stuff on The Bassment is all done on Sibelius as well.

To be honest Finale & Sibelius both do the same [Full versions], but different work flow, and both have Video import.[Good for Scoring]
In the Uk Sibelius seems to be the one - and State side Finale is a big hitter, not that it really matters.
I use Finale, only because i have for years, and i work with a partner who uses Sibelius - and to be honest same results.
Finale does have an OK sound set, but i have Kontakt and use my own Orchestral sounds for playback.
Sibelius does rewire, but we can not get it to work very well with Cubase, or at all even.
They both have VST support as far as i know, and Audio import, plus routing.

Like you say - Demo both, its a lot of dosh to shell out. Can you not get educational discount somehow?
If you have kids you might be able to do it through the school.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1057835' date='Dec 13 2010, 09:07 PM']I don't suppose anybody has a sample output from Finale they could post could they?[/quote]

Here are a couple of Bass parts [Jazz fonts], and a treble clef [Classical/standard font] These PDF'sare already loaded up on this site.

[attachment=66370:Bass_Bash_Groove_4.pdf] Jakesbass arrangement/line from his Bass bash thing.I hope he dont mind - if he does i will take it down.

[attachment=66371:Good_Times_Roll.pdf]

[attachment=66372:Lounge__..._120_bpm.pdf]

If you want to see some full Orchestral score - i can PDF convert and load up tomorrow some time.

Garry

Edited by lowdown