Why become a member? ×

Coloured strings

chilievans

I'm thinking of getting some black strings to go on my new bass which I should be receiving next week from Jon Shuker.
The problem is I don't know if these strings are just a gimmic or not and which ones are better than others?
I've seen some on ebay for around £30. Is this a fair price?

Thanks in advance

Rotosound Tru Bass will stay black forever, but they're completely unlike any other string (that I've tried anyway), and might well need the nut opening-up as they're pretty heavy guage.

I like to have a set on a bass, but they don't suit every style (and pace) of music - they're somhow inherently sluggish...

I had been converted to flatwound strings but recently bought a bass fitted with DR Black Beauties and absolutely loved them. They seem an ideal compromise - slick but bright without the overly zingy newness sound that moved me away from ordinary roundwounds. But cut through so much better than the flats - much better for the rock covers I play. My BBs had chipped a little bit but I saw silddx suggested to someone touching up the chips with a permanent marker - great tip!

I would also get them from [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DR-Black-Beauty-BKB-45-Bass-Strings-45-105-/300502492399?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item45f75824ef"]this eBay seller[/url] in the USA. Lots of talk recently about DR Neon strings so, in a moment of weakness I gave in to the GAS and ordered some. And, like everyone else said, found they arrived quickly and slipped through the VAT/Import Duty net and cost about £25 posted. I notice they have BBs reduced at the moment, too, so I may well order a set to keep handy.

Edit - in fact I just did - £21.57 incl. postage.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' post='1055704' date='Dec 12 2010, 09:25 AM']I had been converted to flatwound strings but recently bought a bass fitted with DR Black Beauties and absolutely loved them. They seem an ideal compromise - slick but bright without the overly zingy newness sound that moved me away from ordinary roundwounds. But cut through so much better than the flats - much better for the rock covers I play. My BBs had chipped a little bit but I saw silddx suggested to someone touching up the chips with a permanent marker - great tip!

I would also get them from [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DR-Black-Beauty-BKB-45-Bass-Strings-45-105-/300502492399?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item45f75824ef"]this eBay seller[/url] in the USA. Lots of talk recently about DR Neon strings so, in a moment of weakness I gave in to the GAS and ordered some. And, like everyone else said, found they arrived quickly and slipped through the VAT/Import Duty net and cost about £25 posted. I notice they have BBs reduced at the moment, too, so I may well order a set to keep handy.

Edit - in fact I just did - £21.57 incl. postage.[/quote]

Nice one Paul
They'll look the nuts on mu new Shuker Jazz :)