Why become a member? ×

Recommend me an amp and cab

eatapeach

What amp would you recommend for a 16 year old bassist who has just started playing bigger gigs? He has a TE Commando 100w combo which has been fine for rehearsals and practice, but has recently been playing larger venues. He plays in an indie band, but has also been asked to play now with a heavier rock band. He's been using a borrowed amp (I remember a Hartke rig at one gig) or going through the PA

He plays a Bacchus Jazz, a Fender Precision and a Thunderbird. I think he likes the push of the Thunderbird but finds it hard to play so ends up using the J or P. He likes the bass out of the Kings of Leon - that's a Thunderbird / Ampeg sound.

What amp/cab should I be thinking about for his Xmas present? A 4x10 cab? Class D head? What's very reliable, robust, resellable if I get it wrong and not massively expensive?
cheers

I suppose te critical question here is how much are you prepared to spend?

If he liked the Hartke he played through before that's obviously a good place to start, and probably ticks the boxes. If he likes the Ampeg sound it might be worth thinking about getting him a Behringer BDI21 as well (or if you push the boat out, a Sansamp BDDI :) )

Are you "Bank of Dad"?

You want good reliable gear and I wouldn't worry about light weight gear at this stage. I'd look for a good, used 410 and a 500 watt amp. In the For Sale section there is a Markbass LM2 and an Aguilar GS410. He'll be able to get a great sound in any genre with those.