Why become a member? ×

Pick ups on Fender Aeordyne

algmusic

I bought Fender Aeordyne secondhand at the beginning of the year after letting go my Ibanez of 6 years... I really liked the tone I got from it.. The P/J thing worked well for both Rocky stuff and groove.. In June, I got an Fender Jazz Roadworn which blew me away, it a lovely warm vintage tone which I would easy use for Rock/folk and then tweek it for some soulful groovey tones.. The roadworn ended up being the bass of choice in general anyway

I remember, that the previous owner recommended that I use flats on the Aeordyne, so after having two basses I like, I changed the Aeordyne to TruBass strings so I'd get two different sounds.. I love the sound and the through my Terror Bass, I can get rick groovy tones or dark rock ones now the only problem is, I have noticed it the J PUP is a bit noisey and lacks bit of umph.. I only noticed this when recording with both basses.. I love the passive tone so Active is not an option and I'm thinking I should change the P/J PUP, but have no Idea where to start..

Any suggestions?? and what are my options?

I actually like the sound of the current PUPs, but it need a bit more power with less noise and a touch more character..

Having used both Trubass and Orange Terror I've been really happy with my tone. You have two options really, brands aside. Some pups are more traditional tones / vintage vibes and some are designed to give things a bit more omph! From what you are saying I'd lean towards the vintage vibe rather than something beefed up. Chances are the pickups in your bass are just a bit lacklustre. I use Wizard and Seymour Duncan - I'd recommend either as an improvement on stock pups. With Wizard you can phone the guy to discuss your tone and he is really helpful. Just be careful if going down the hotter pickup route that you may lose what you like about your tone. These are more popular sales wise but personally I swear by the vintage spec pups and my sound is always where I want it to be, even when using a cheaper venue rig.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1049593' date='Dec 6 2010, 05:08 PM']Having used both Trubass and Orange Terror I've been really happy with my tone. You have two options really, brands aside. Some pups are more traditional tones / vintage vibes and some are designed to give things a bit more omph! From what you are saying I'd lean towards the vintage vibe rather than something beefed up. Chances are the pickups in your bass are just a bit lacklustre. I use Wizard and Seymour Duncan - I'd recommend either as an improvement on stock pups. With Wizard you can phone the guy to discuss your tone and he is really helpful. Just be careful if going down the hotter pickup route that you may lose what you like about your tone. These are more popular sales wise but personally I swear by the vintage spec pups and my sound is always where I want it to be, even when using a cheaper venue rig.[/quote]

Hmm vintage us more my thing.. Vintage Tone is definitely the thing that I like over hotter pups which is why i left active circuits. We also have the same cab, so guess we're singing by the same hymn sheet.. I'll have to check out both pups. I know alot of people talk of SDs bit I'm yet to hear them..

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1049593' date='Dec 6 2010, 05:08 PM']Having used both Trubass and Orange Terror I've been really happy with my tone. You have two options really, brands aside. Some pups are more traditional tones / vintage vibes and some are designed to give things a bit more omph! From what you are saying I'd lean towards the vintage vibe rather than something beefed up. Chances are the pickups in your bass are just a bit lacklustre. I use Wizard and Seymour Duncan - I'd recommend either as an improvement on stock pups. With Wizard you can phone the guy to discuss your tone and he is really helpful. Just be careful if going down the hotter pickup route that you may lose what you like about your tone. These are more popular sales wise but personally I swear by the vintage spec pups and my sound is always where I want it to be, even when using a cheaper venue rig.[/quote]

Hmm vintage us more my thing.. Vintage Tone is definitely the thing that I like over hotter pups which is why i left active circuits. We also have the same cab, so guess we're singing by the same hymn sheet.. I'll have to check out both pups. I know alot of people talk of SDs bit I'm yet to hear them..

When I had an Aerodyne I too found the J pickup a bit noisy and lacking in character. As I wanted a Duff McKagan sound (he uses an Aerodyne) I got the Seymour Duncan Hot Stack STK-J2 which he uses. I didn`t find it too powerful, but much less noisy, and a far better presence when used with the P pickup.
Having said that, the Classic Stack STK-J1 looks to be more up your street, going by the vintage tone comments. It still has hum-cancelling though.