Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot 1153 Sounds 'Dark'

Count Bassie

Does anyone who uses Trace Elliot cabs find them dark-ish sounding? I have a single 1153 and find it so, using it with my SMX250 head. Fender Jazz Bass w/ LaBella flats going in.

The Series-6 715-S combo I'm using for rehearsals I find not nearly so 'closed' sounding. Will the 1153s 'open up' some if there are two of them? Or should I find something else if I want a more open sound- with a little more 'air' or top-end?

Am I being pretty clear here?...

Edited by Count Bassie

to be honest, I've listened to Mk II, IV, V, Series 6 and SMX range side by side and the sound gets progressivly worse. I really did not like the SMX at all, I found that it strangled the sound.

I'm sure others will disagree but I lusted after one for years only to be disappointed at it. The Mark V is the best Trace amp I ever used and even the GP7 2x10" combo I had was good as well.

I used a 1153 for years with a Gallien Krueger 800RB and loved the sound - I use quite a trebly sound and the cab was good at producing exactly what i was looking for

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1049099' date='Dec 6 2010, 06:01 AM']to be honest, I've listened to Mk II, IV, V, Series 6 and SMX range side by side and the sound gets progressivly worse. I really did not like the SMX at all, I found that it strangled the sound.

I'm sure others will disagree but I lusted after one for years only to be disappointed at it. The Mark V is the best Trace amp I ever used and even the GP7 2x10" combo I had was good as well.

I used a 1153 for years with a Gallien Krueger 800RB and loved the sound - I use quite a trebly sound and the cab was good at producing exactly what i was looking for[/quote]

I can see why you'd say that about the SMX, actually. I have a MK IV going to the shop, and when it gets back maybe it'll make a difference. Thanks for the comment.

I played my 715-S combo at rehearsal last night, and finally had the stones to turn the Output Gain up! She broke up very nicely as I pushed the Jazz through with some muscle, and now I wish it had more speakers and a bigger power section!

By contrast, the AH250SMX through the 1153 sounds, especially with the open E and A strings, a little like there's a blanket over it. Mid-neck, closed position, etc sounds pretty good, even a little bit 'toppy'. But it's doing something strange to the sound now with the Trace cab. When I had a pair of Bag End S15-Ds this wasn't really the case. I'm concluding that it's a side-effect of the famous Trace-Elliot 'color'.

I've thought, for a long time now, that the speakers one uses are a notch up from the amp in order of importance to one's sound, and I like the 1153 cab better than the Bags- it goes deeper and has a nicer, more friendly, rounder sound to my ear than the Bag Ends. But I don't like what's happening now with the SMX powering it... I'll be trying out a few other things as opportunity presents itself I guess.

Change something, open a can of worms. But I know that...

Had an hour or so with the SMX/1153 cab this evening, and after some extensive tweaking /returning to "square one" several times, I got it dialed in pretty good. It's just really been the ability to generate time for it that's gotten into my path- but now it sounds much better.

It seems that using the pre-shape-1 button, doing [i]subtler boost/cut[/i] on the graphic eq, and having the graphic turned up only around half-way (instead of full-up) really brings out a less colored tone. Just getting to know the amp a little better is all I've really needed I guess. There will still be limitations, and it's possible that my ears are just a little fatigued after an hour or so of pushing sliders around. But every time I went through an eq path, I'd return all settings to "flat" and start over in a slightly different direction. Finally got it pretty nailed I think, the sound is full and clear, and has plenty of depth, without the muffling 'blanket' that I had over it previously. Just took some patience and a little tenacity.

Here's the settings, just for whatever edification it may provide:

I'm still getting my old GK 400RB back from a friend I sold it to a few moths ago. Well, work was sucky and I needed bread! At least I sold it to someone who'd sell it back to me!

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1055779' date='Dec 12 2010, 05:48 AM']I used an 800RB with a 1153 for years - that was when I was happy with my gear before the days of Talkbs and Basschat poisoned my mind[/quote]

I'm hearing that- I had some awesome gear and then sold it... won't even say what it was. It wasn't talkbass, etc- it was before that. But I still feel it. Luckily, I'm feeling pretty good about what I've got now. It's taken some time and a repentant heart!

Be strong, man! :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1055779' date='Dec 12 2010, 10:48 AM']I used an 800RB with a 1153 for years - that was when I was happy with my gear before the days of Talkbs and Basschat poisoned my mind[/quote]

I had the 800rb + 1153 and 2103 (the early vinyl covered models with the 10's and the 5's), nice little rig which I'd not turn my nose up at even now. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1056114' date='Dec 12 2010, 10:42 AM']I had the 800rb + 1153 and 2103 (the early vinyl covered models with the 10's and the 5's), nice little rig which I'd not turn my nose up at even now. :)[/quote]

I had a 2x10 cab years ago, the Trace, without the horn- never saw one with a 5" installed. But it was a nice cab, and I suppose I'd snag another if I ran into one. I'm really hoping to find another 1153 though. 15s are my favorite cabs.

Another thumbs-up for the 1153 here! I ran a pre-Gibson carpet-covered one for years and loved it- it was my first proper speaker cab, which I bought in '98 as an extension cab for my T-E BLX-130 combo back when I started gigging...
When I switched to using heads, I bought a T-E 2103H cab to partner it, but nearly always ended up running the 1153 alone because it sounded better- just wish I knew then what I know now about speakers, as I would have bought a second 1153 instead and saved myself ££££'s over the following decade!

I'm now running a pair of Barefaced Compacts which I'm very happy with, but I still think the 1153 is one of the best-sounding 15" cabs around! Really nice round tone, with plenty of top end for my varied tastes- most definitely not dark-sounding! I ran it pretty hard for the many years I owned it and it handled whatever I threw at it with aplomb. I eventually sold it along with the virtually-unused 2103H to another bass-playing mate of mine a couple of years back, who managed to fry the stock Celestions in both cabs within weeks... :)

On that subject, did you replace the driver in your 1153 Count Bassie? Looks like you've got an Eminence 3015 (as fitted in the Compact) in it now...

P.S. WHY am I on here writing this at this hour on Xmas Eve?!?! Haven't even finished writing my Xmas cards yet, ha ha!

Yes that's the original in there... well, I think it is! You know- I've never looked! :) :) I'll do that next opportunity I get. After tomorrow though!

I'm not going to be changing anything for a while now, I've found it takes me about 3-6 months to really get to know my gear, and moving stuff around before then either ends up in disappointment with what I get afterwards or I find out how good what I had was! So I'm sitting tight and using it until I have enough history to be able to either rave or rant.

But I'll be back. Thanks for the words, replies, chiming-ins folks! Have a merry holiday, peace on you wherever you are.

I haven't looked into my 1153 cab yet to see what speaker is in there, but I brought the 1153 w/ the AH250SMX to rehearsal earlier this evening, and it's a nailer. Sat in the mix like it belonged there, and as if it had been mastered into place by Bob Clearmountain. I tried the 1153 on top of the 1048 the night before that, and it was sonically like being run upon by a very large armor-plated animal wearing a big yellow "Happy Face" mask. Really, it was.

I do really dig my Trace stuff. Happy as a pig in a bubble-bath.