Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NBD Alert!!!

amnesia

I woke up with a sudden need to be Nikki Sixx, but with more hair and not quite so drug dependant. Not quite sure why but there ya go. So with the aid of the omnipotent and omnipresent interweb I set about my research.
It rapidly came to my attention that Gibson have one of the worst reputations of guitar manufacturers on the web. Everywhere you turn there are stories about broken necks, crabby design and terrible quality. That dented my desire for a T'bird somewhat. However I persisted with a few PMs to past and current owners on BC (thanks retroman and Farmer61) and they restored my confidence somewhat with some sage advice. The basic story seems to be that if you get a good one, it will be great.

I can't wait to see what it makes of 400W of valve amplification. :lol: :)

5 or 6 hours (and 30 minutes of playing) into ownership here are my list of pros and cons -

:) Pros:

Possibly the most rock n roll bass shape known to mankind
Superslim neck profile
The smell! Damn its good
Popular opinion holds it as a 'one trick pony'. Thats fine, it does the one trick I want!

:D Cons:

Didn't come with added groupies.
High gloss finish - for those added finger prints
Tends to hang away from my waist slightly, so it needs straplocks before it goes anywhere

[b]"There are many like it, but this one is mine"[/b]

2010 Gibson Thunderbird aka Dita

[attachment=65697:Dita1.jpg]

[attachment=65698:Dita2.jpg]

Try twiddling the knobs a bit and plucking nearer the neck - it's not quite so "one trick pony" as you might think. It still sounds best with all the knobs at 11 though! :)

If you're thinking of fitting Schaller strap locks, you'll need to do something about the hole at the bridge end. Gibson use a much thicker screw at the bottom of the bass than the one behind the neck. The screws that come with the Schaller set don't grip in the hole very well, and the original screw won't fit through the straplock. I sorted mine the other day, plugging the old hole with a large matchstick & decent wood glue.