Why become a member? ×

Everybody point and laugh

Jono Bolton

[quote name='paul, the' post='121253' date='Jan 16 2008, 01:08 AM']I feel really sorry for it in a Hunchback of Notre Dame kind of way.[/quote]

After the Hunchback dies, the Deacon of Notre Dame realises that this leaves him without a bell-ringer, so he advertises.

Truth be told, the candidates are a pretty poor lot. By the time he reaches the last applicant he's getting desperate … and then the last applicant turns out to have no arms!

“What on earth do you want? How can you play the bells without arms?”

“I run around the bell-tower, head-butting the bells as I go. I’m pretty good.”

“Good grief! Oh come on then.”

So the two of them climb the 157 steps to the top of the bell-tower, and the armless one starts to play the bells, and he plays them magically. People in the square below stop to hear him. It’s wonderful.

When he’s finished, the Deacon immediately says, “The job’s yours.”.

The bell-ringer is so happy that he runs across the tower to give one last DONG on the biggest bell, trips and plummets 120 feet to the ground.

Distraught, the Deacon rushes back down the 157 steps to the square, to find a crowd gathered around the body.

“Was he the bell-ringer, Deacon? Who was he?”

“I never got his name, but his face rang a bell.”

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='jono b' post='119672' date='Jan 13 2008, 06:30 PM']A translation of the the item description:
"Very interesting prototype E-bass out of German fabrication out of the 60er-Jahren, probably of Framus or Klira. The bass does not sound very good and fat more Hingucker- and show effect goes. A very special instrument for very special people."

They're not wrong![/quote]

They actually said it does not sound good! :)

[quote name='jono b' post='119672' date='Jan 13 2008, 06:30 PM']A translation of the the item description:
"Very interesting prototype E-bass out of German fabrication out of the 60er-Jahren, probably of Framus or Klira. The bass does not sound very good and fat more Hingucker- and show effect goes. A very special instrument for very special people."

They're not wrong![/quote]

urgh - that looks line the work of an online translation tool! (although to be fair it may be more fitting in this case)

okies - my german might be a bit rusty but I'd read it as:

[i] Sehr interessanter Prototyp E-Bass aus deutscher Fertigung aus den 60er-Jahren, vermutlich von Framus oder Klira. Der Bass klingt sehr gut und fett.Mehr Hingucker- und Showeffekt geht nicht. Ein sehr spezielles Instrument für sehr spezielle Leute.
[/i]

Very interesting prototype E-Bass made in Germany in the 1960's probably by Framus or Klira. The bass sounds very good and fat. As a head turner and for 'show effect' there's no better. A very special instrument for a very special person.

Dunno - it does have a certain appeal (not sure what it is yet), though being honest I dunno if I could go on stage with it

[quote name='colda' post='121702' date='Jan 16 2008, 07:40 PM']A very special instrument for a very special person.[/quote]
If I say something like "the sort of very special person who would have gone to a very special school", am I going to get smacked round the back of the head for tastelessness?

[quote name='colda' post='121702' date='Jan 16 2008, 07:40 PM']Dunno - it does have a certain appeal (not sure what it is yet), though being honest I dunno if I could go on stage with it[/quote]

See! if you let enough people know about things like this eventually one will come along who likes it :)

[quote name='colda' post='121702' date='Jan 16 2008, 07:40 PM']urgh - that looks line the work of an online translation tool! (although to be fair it may be more fitting in this case)

okies - my german might be a bit rusty but I'd read it as:

[i] Sehr interessanter Prototyp E-Bass aus deutscher Fertigung aus den 60er-Jahren, vermutlich von Framus oder Klira. Der Bass klingt sehr gut und fett.Mehr Hingucker- und Showeffekt geht nicht. Ein sehr spezielles Instrument für sehr spezielle Leute.
[/i]

Very interesting prototype E-Bass made in Germany in the 1960's probably by Framus or Klira. The bass sounds very good and fat. As a head turner and for 'show effect' there's no better. A very special instrument for a very special person.[/quote]
Right on... come on people - if you're gonna use online translators, a bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss! :)

English ---> German:

Recht auf... kommen Sie auf Leute - wenn Sie on-line-Übersetzer benutzen werden, würde ein wenig gesunder Menschenverstand nicht amiss gehen!

And back to English again:

Quite on... you come on people - if you will use on-line translators, a little healthy human understanding amiss would not go!

Actually, that's not bad at all when you think about it.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

"After the Hunchback dies, the Deacon of Notre Dame realises that this leaves him without a bell-ringer, so he advertises.

Truth be told, the candidates are a pretty poor lot. By the time he reaches the last applicant he's getting desperate … and then the last applicant turns out to have no arms!

“What on earth do you want? How can you play the bells without arms?”

“I run around the bell-tower, head-butting the bells as I go. I’m pretty good.”

“Good grief! Oh come on then.” So the two of them climb the 157 steps to the top of the bell-tower, and the armless one starts to play the bells, and he plays them magically. People in the square below stop to hear him. It’s wonderful.

When he’s finished, the Deacon immediately says, “The job’s yours.”.

The bell-ringer is so happy that he runs across the tower to give one last DONG on the biggest bell, trips and plummets 120 feet to the ground.

Distraught, the Deacon rushes back down the 157 steps to the square, to find a crowd gathered around the body.

“Was he the bell-ringer, Deacon? Who was he?”

“I never got his name, but his face rang a bell.” - Happy Jack

Hearing of the unfortunate incident, the bell-ringers brother goes to meet with the Deacon.

He tells him that it was always his Brothers ambition to be the bell-ringer at Notre Dame. Due to his untimely death he feels that he owes it to his brother to take on the job.

On his first day on the job, the brother trips on the same step and plummets 120 feet to the ground.

Once again a crowd of people gather around the lifeless body.

"Does anybody know who he is?" asks a member of the crowd

"No, but he's a dead-ringer for his brother." comes the reply.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='122277' date='Jan 17 2008, 04:26 PM']Quite on... you come on people - if you will use on-line translators, a little healthy human understanding amiss would not go!

Actually, that's not bad at all when you think about it.[/quote]

How they wrote Yoda's script that is

Just in case that so-called Framus prototype didn't quite hit the spot, why not try ...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1966-RARE-VINTAGE-TONIKA-BASS-Russian-Cool_W0QQitemZ150204944605QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1966-RARE-VINTAGE-TO...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='122277' date='Jan 17 2008, 04:26 PM']English ---> German:

Recht auf... kommen Sie auf Leute - wenn Sie on-line-Übersetzer benutzen werden, würde ein wenig gesunder Menschenverstand nicht amiss gehen![/quote]

As it happens - that's bloody horrible german! :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='122457' date='Jan 17 2008, 09:30 PM']Just in case that so-called Framus prototype didn't quite hit the spot, why not try ...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1966-RARE-VINTAGE-TONIKA-BASS-Russian-Cool_W0QQitemZ150204944605QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1966-RARE-VINTAGE-TO...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

:)[/quote]

Blige I think that was built near Chernobyl ... after the accident
Meanwhile happyjack Bigbeef seems to have raided your posts or was it the other way round?
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=11366&view=findpost&p=122289"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=122289[/url]

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='OldGit' post='122475' date='Jan 17 2008, 09:58 PM']Blige I think that was built near Chernobyl ... after the accident
Meanwhile happyjack Bigbeef seems to have raided your posts or was it the other way round?
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=11366&view=findpost&p=122289"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=122289[/url][/quote]

Never saw that!

We're both obviously connoisseurs of high-brow humour.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='122457' date='Jan 17 2008, 09:30 PM']Just in case that so-called Framus prototype didn't quite hit the spot, why not try ...

:)[/quote]

Now that one definitely needs a murderous mob with pitchforks. No sympathy there.

DAAAM.