Why become a member? ×

NBD

paul h

I realised I missed having a P bass and I have been gas'ing after a CAR bass so after some google time I found this...

[url="http://www.hwmusic.co.uk/product/jim_deacon_45559.aspx"]http://www.hwmusic.co.uk/product/jim_deacon_45559.aspx[/url]

Candy apple red, matching headstock, white plate. Pretty much exactly what I was after. Except of course, being a bit of an SX fan I spotted something wrong. The image is actually an old SX model with a "fish-hook" headstock. I thought that maybe they had some old stock in and after all they are made in the same factory as Jim Deacon so that may explain the photo and description not matching. I decided to take a punt. I was hoping to get the SX branded bass as per the picture.

I nearly waited until the next day to phone and check but seeing there is a Basscentre online shop thread going I thought I might as well test out the supplier. During Paypal checkout I left them a note just asking them to check that the bass did indeed have a matching headstock.

I ordered Friday evening and had zero correspondence. Not an order confirmation. No email about the headstock. Nothing.

This is what turned up this morning...

[attachment=65379:SN851504.JPG]

[attachment=65380:SN851505.JPG]

Candy apple red but no matching headstock and a tort plate. I had an old white SX plate so I gave it a quick rub with fine sandpaper, mixed some vaguely mint acrylic paint and hey presto! It won't really pass close inspection but from a few feet away certainly has that more vintage, minty vibe.

[attachment=65381:SN851509.JPG]

Next stop fret fettling, fretboard oiling and new strings. And maybe one day a trip to Halfords for some metallic red!

I also just emailed HW music to suggest a more accurate photo (at least the same brand) or a more detailed description. They replied really quickly thanking me for the comments and totally ignoring the issues I raised!

[quote name='paul h' post='1042202' date='Nov 30 2010, 12:12 PM']... I was hoping to get the SX branded bass as per the picture....[/quote]
Should send it back then.... before you spend any more on it.

The point of buying new is so you get a guarantee. So far these guys don't sound like you'll get satisfaction if you have a problem, plus say goodbye to the guarantee once you paint the headstock.

Buy a secondhand Squier and do it up.

If I were you, I'd make a bit more of a fuss, if not for your own benefit then for the benefit of someone else who's in the same situation but less willing to compromise.

It takes 2 minutes to update a photo on a website, compared to the hassle of getting the wrong thing sent to you, it's nothing,

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='paul h' post='1042253' date='Nov 30 2010, 12:43 PM']I was hoping fr the SX but was also fully prepared for the JD. They are the same basses just with different branding. It's only really the non-matching headstock that is the issue.

This will plenty good enough for me! Candy Apple Red is the new white!

:)[/quote]

I don't think they are the same basses.
I'm not quite sure what's the link, as it's implied in several places... but the company making SX instruments makes several others and Jim Deacon doesn't appear on their list.

They do share some details, like the dark orangey finish, the look of the hardware... but that's pretty generic anyway.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1042622' date='Nov 30 2010, 05:25 PM']I don't think they are the same basses.
I'm not quite sure what's the link, as it's implied in several places... but the company making SX instruments makes several others and Jim Deacon doesn't appear on their list.

They do share some details, like the dark orangey finish, the look of the hardware... but that's pretty generic anyway.[/quote]

I wouldn't necessarily take that list as definitive. For instance they have no mention of the Ursa brand that they have been making for Rondo Music since the rumoured legal problems with the SX MKII headstock.

And of course the clincher is the fact it was shipped in a cheap CNB gig bag. Which is a Team International product line.

I have had two SX's and now one Jim Deacon and I am 99.99% sure that JD=SX.

:)

Edited by paul h

Is it the angle of the photo or does it have enough room for a low B left above the E string! Looks like a fun project though and the CAR is growing on me. I have a matching jazz to yours and was going to change the colour but I quite like it now. I took a white plate off mine and put a Fender black one off which looks quite nice with the CAR IMO.

It's just the angle of the picture! It's a wide arsed neck for sure but I am used to a jazz neck at the moment.

The only real issue I have found, cosmetics aside, is that the A nut slot is too big and it's rattling about. I am waiting for some new strings to be shipped so I will try it with them first before I worry too much. Of course once I have the new strings on I will decide whether to swap out the pickup or not. If I do I will go for an Artec so that will only be £21!

I have ordered a bridge cover and I think I have found a mint green pickguard to replace my dodgy one.

I think I will forego the headstock painting because a the missus rightly pointed out I will only nark it up!

[quote name='paul h' post='1042642' date='Nov 30 2010, 05:38 PM']I wouldn't necessarily take that list as definitive. For instance they have no mention of the Ursa brand that they have been making for Rondo Music since the rumoured legal problems with the SX MKII headstock.

And of course the clincher is the fact it was shipped in a cheap CNB gig bag. Which is a Team International product line.

I have had two SX's and now one Jim Deacon and I am 99.99% sure that JD=SX.

:lol:[/quote]

Ursa is a model, not a brand :D They're still labelled as "SX".

The CNB link is interesting 'though. It could well be that they're cheap and local (local to a Chinese manufacturer) and that's why they ended up being sold with Jim Deacon instruments...

Even if they came from the same factory, it does not mean they're the same. They could have very different specs. The cheaper SX basses sold in a package with an amp etc are not the same as the slightly nicer SX basses sold individually, for instance.

However... if you have in front of you the Jim Deacon and two SX... I have to admit you have more tangible elements of comparison than I have! :P
Oh, I just re-read it.. you *have had* two SX... :lol:

I fell in love with SX when I found my GG1JR Les Paul style guitar, with a couple of P90s. It has some cosmetic details that betray its origin, but it's a lovely guitar and sounds great. When I started selling my guitar gear, only two guitars remained: a Fender Stratocaster, and the SX!
I bought the SX from an internet only shop in Germany around 5-6 years ago. I wanted to find more, and frustrated by their invisibility I added a little SX page to my website, where I put a bunch pf pictures, generally stated how much I loved them, and asking if anybody knew where they sold SX guitars in the UK to contact me.
A few weeks ago I got a message about that page. It was from China. Someone from the family who started the company (about 15 years ago, she said). I did my best in my reply to give them an opportunity to send a lovely natural finish maple neck Jazz style bass, which I'd review and play proudly in my 3 bands (not exactly at the international level, admittedly :lol:) but I thinkk they passed on that one :) maybe I'll ask about the Jim Deacon brand, just out of curiosity now.

Let's solve the Jim Deacon provenance mystery! :)

Edited by mcnach

The problem with that that nut fix, is not having a spare nut to file down for paste material!:)

My SX P ended up with a new tort scratchplate, P pickup and a badly added J. It then got mixed up with a donor body to make it a black/black/maple P. The Jazz just had a new scratchplate and pickups.

Totally agree, everyone should have a go!

[quote name='mcnach' post='1042885' date='Nov 30 2010, 08:22 PM']Ursa is a model, not a brand :lol: They're still labelled as "SX".

The CNB link is interesting 'though. It could well be that they're cheap and local (local to a Chinese manufacturer) and that's why they ended up being sold with Jim Deacon instruments...

Even if they came from the same factory, it does not mean they're the same. They could have very different specs. The cheaper SX basses sold in a package with an amp etc are not the same as the slightly nicer SX basses sold individually, for instance.

However... if you have in front of you the Jim Deacon and two SX... I have to admit you have more tangible elements of comparison than I have! :D
Oh, I just re-read it.. you *have had* two SX... :P

I fell in love with SX when I found my GG1JR Les Paul style guitar, with a couple of P90s. It has some cosmetic details that betray its origin, but it's a lovely guitar and sounds great. When I started selling my guitar gear, only two guitars remained: a Fender Stratocaster, and the SX!
I bought the SX from an internet only shop in Germany around 5-6 years ago. I wanted to find more, and frustrated by their invisibility I added a little SX page to my website, where I put a bunch pf pictures, generally stated how much I loved them, and asking if anybody knew where they sold SX guitars in the UK to contact me.
A few weeks ago I got a message about that page. It was from China. Someone from the family who started the company (about 15 years ago, she said). I did my best in my reply to give them an opportunity to send a lovely natural finish maple neck Jazz style bass, which I'd review and play proudly in my 3 bands (not exactly at the international level, admittedly :lol:) but I thinkk they passed on that one :) maybe I'll ask about the Jim Deacon brand, just out of curiosity now.

Let's solve the Jim Deacon provenance mystery! :)[/quote]

I hadn't noticed they were still badged as SX to be honest. I lost interest with the latest headstock!

You should definitely email them though...horses mouth and all that.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1042855' date='Nov 30 2010, 08:07 PM']Everyone should have a project bass, It should become law! Good work. I here this mixing superglue and a filed down nut to make a paste then letting it set before re-filing the slot does the job just fine mate. :)[/quote]

As we're just talking about a plastic nut, surely I can just use almost any plastic item as paste donor?

Actually just found a cunning way to bodge it. Apart from the fact that I am going to put heavier gauge strings on it I realised I had plenty of spare nut material...in the spaces between the slots! I heated up a flat head screwdriver and pushed and moulded some of the plastic/nylon towards the offending slot. I haven't strung her back up yet but it looks as though it's worked a treat. Slightly bumpy at the top edge but slots in good order.

She's had a quick fret polish and I've oiled the board...yes, with WD40! :)

I will wait until I have the new pickguard, bridge cover and thumb rest before I put her back together.

Only a "light modding" but thoroughly enjoyable thus far. I will wait until I hear it in the mix before I decide on the pickup.

A coupler of nut solutions, use baking soda or wood sawdust to mix with the glue. You can even use just glue but it takes a while to harden completely when it's thick. I like to cover the bottom of the slot with thick super glue, pack the slot with dust and then blow it out so just a layer remains. Then I soak it with thin superglue and give it an hour or so to dry. Superglues may not stick well to many plastics so this may fail.

You could pull the nut and glue a piece of paper to the bottom side and trim it to shape and then when you put it back the slots will be raised. You can also make great nuts out of aluminum. Better than plastic any ways.