Why become a member? ×

Acoustic 220 Head, What speaker do you recommend?

Lemming16

Hi everyone, i just started playing bass (after years of playing guitar), and i got on a Pawn shop an Acoustic 220 head working perfectly for $100. So all i need now is a cab. Since all cabs here in Mexico (just as all new music instruments) are a total rip-off, i decided to buy a speaker and make a custom cab.

My question is, how many watts, and ohms should the speaker be? And what size do you recommend?

Most of the shops here in mi city have only Eminence Delta, at fairly good price, (i noticed most of them were 8 ohms) i just need to know if i could use those with 8 ohms or if i should look for 4 ohms speakers, and how many watts do you recommend.

The specs of this amp are: (You can see the full specs here [url="http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki/b...ic/BassHead220)"]http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki/b...ic/BassHead220)[/url]

160 Watts RMS @ 5 % THD into 2 ohms
125 Watts RMS @ 5 % THD into 4 ohms

then on the other add it says (even though its the same model)

210 Watts RMS @ 5 % THD into 2 ohms
170 Watts RMS @ 5 % THD into 4 ohms

What do you recommend?
Thanks in advance.

From looking at the "acoustic.homeunix" site it seems the higher powered version was only produced in 1981/2. Refer back to that Forum and quote the amp serial number. The members there will be sure to help you.

As for the speakers, please be more specific about the model number for example Delta Pro 12a or Delta 10a, or Delta 12b etc. Or whatever is available locally.

I assume from your post that you only want to use 1 loudspeaker drive unit.

Balcro.

I don't know much about speakers, but I believe most Acoustic cabs used Eminence originally, so that would seem to be a good choice.

There doesn't seem much difference in volume with my 220 whether I use an 8ohm cab, a 4ohm cab or 2 4ohm cabs, 2 ohms total. I'd go for a 4 ohm though coz you can still add another later on (thats the beauty of a head that runs happily at 2 ohms)

Congratulations, btw, on getting one of these great amps at such a bargain price!

I have run my 220 with an assortment of different speakers from a 2x15, 4x8, 2x10 and a 1x15

The 220 was originally paired with a 406 which is a 2x15 cab which is great, but big and cumbersome.

If you are going to build one, have a look at the Bill Fitmaurice jacks or there are some free plans on the eminence web site, and you should find something that fits your budget.

Whoa, thanks for your answers, so, do you think i should get a speaker with 200 Watts? (8 ohms) or one with 300 watts? (8 ohms too).

Since is not clear if the watts on my amp are 120 or 170, lets suppose my amp is 150 watts (at 4 ohms) . What speaker would you recommend? 200 watts or 300 watts (both at 8 ohms).

BTW!, it is a Delta 15A, i saw on the shop a 300Watts at 8 ohm, not sure if they have a 200 watts speaker with the same impedance. But if they have it, should i go for the 200 W or 300 W?

[quote name='Lemming16' post='1040063' date='Nov 28 2010, 11:24 AM']Whoa, thanks for your answers, so, do you think i should get a speaker with 200 Watts? (8 ohms) or one with 300 watts? (8 ohms too).[/quote]Watts are the least significant factor. What matters is frequency response, sensitivity and driver displacement. Don't even think about trying to design your own speaker. Find an existing tested design that meets your needs, use the drivers recommended for use with it.

I bought mine in 1980 with a 404 (1x15, 4ohm cab rated at 125w) and ran it for about 15 years before I added a home made 2x10, which is just a basic box design. It has worked perfectly well, adding the 2x10 cab added little, if any extra volume but gave me a bit more power handling and maybe a bit more punch to my sound.

I was lucky to find a bargain 402 cab (2x15, 4ohm and rated 250w) which I now always use with the 220. Depending on the gig size or my moods I can add the 2x10 or the 1x15.

I have to agree with bumnote though, if you are going to build a cab, follow Bills advice!

Edited by 4-string-thing

Whoa, those are some awesome amps, i guess you are one big acoustic fan!. I'm gonna checkout ebay and see what i can find. The thing is i've had bad experiences shipping stuff, but that was using standard shipping, i didn't used FedEx, or UPS, or DHL or any of those (Lucky it was only a cheap pedal).

Anyway in case i don't find anything. The 300W Eminence Speaker Delta 15-A i saw on the shop in my city , has 40HZ of frequency response, and 100 of sensitivity. Would that help?

btw, thanks everyone who took the time to answer.

Edited by Lemming16

[quote name='Lemming16' post='1040499' date='Nov 28 2010, 09:45 PM']Whoa, those are some awesome amps, i guess you are one big acoustic fan!. I'm gonna checkout ebay and see what i can find. The thing is i've had bad experiences shipping stuff, but that was using standard shipping, i didn't used FedEx, or UPS, or DHL or any of those (Lucky it was only a cheap pedal).

Anyway in case i don't find anything. The 300W Eminence Speaker Delta 15-A i saw on the shop in my city , has 40HZ of frequency response, and 100 of sensitivity. Would that help?

btw, thanks everyone who took the time to answer.[/quote]

As Bumnote says that Delta 15-a is designed as a P.A speaker. If you can't find a trusted design as BFM suggests, check out Eminence's web-site - Guitar/Bass speakers - Bass - Speaker size. Why not send them an e-mail for support and ask their advice on a trusted design. Why not try the same with www.usspeaker.com. A fair number of choices from 85 - 130$ per unit.

If you're not sure about their advice, come back here. Good luck.

Balcro.

[quote name='bumnote' post='1048208' date='Dec 5 2010, 01:41 PM']Why thank you

I have been meaning to get a tee made with that on one day[/quote]

I thought about getting an Acoustic Tee made, til I saw on the Acoustic forum that the guy in the States who owns the trademark was gonna start suing people who did!

Edited by 4-string-thing

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1048400' date='Dec 5 2010, 04:46 PM']I thought about getting an Acoustic Tee made, til I saw on the Acoustic forum that the guy in the States who owns the trademark was gonna start suing people who did![/quote]

Very difficult in the real world, If you were flogging them thats another matter,

Bought it in a charity shop your honour, how was I to know its not Kosher, theres enough designer stuff being made as contraband, and this will be the season of hooky perfumes to go along with the 1960s Fender Encore Jazz basses, [sorry base] found in Grannys attic.

We should have a little club just the two of us, the english acoustic appreciation society. I would have asked Chi Mike to join as well but hes defected to the dark side and is using some EBS stuff this week, although the amp screening looks like its been done with Dymo tape :) .

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1048400' date='Dec 5 2010, 04:46 PM']I thought about getting an Acoustic Tee made, til I saw on the Acoustic forum that the guy in the States who owns the trademark was gonna start suing people who did![/quote]

Some Americans don't know that American law only applies in America.