Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Standarts

Eoz

Hallo I am new at the forum and at the double bass... but I am one in love... At first sorry for my English and secont I want to share my thoughts...
I am playing with stagg EDB for a year and I am crazy and full for energy for playing... So I want a real one and my teacher told me that I must buy one and it is to important for my progress... So I dont have a lot of money... I am a student... I dont live in a big city with stores... and he suggest me this from thomann.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/ie/rothjunius_rjk_5_kontrabass.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/ie/rothjunius_rjk_5_kontrabass.htm[/url]

because it comes at home and about what he says it has a middle quality... But I havent hear it or play with it... And I can not try anything else because throughout our country we doesnt have much stores... So I am thinking to wait and raise some money and buy somthing expensive but I dont know anyhting.... and the question is... except about any rothjunius_rjk_5_kontrabass, I mean if anyone have it or play it... THE WORLD WIDE DOUBLE BASS COMMUNITY DOESNT HAVE ANY STANDART INSTRUMENTS????? I am talking for the bass that can have a stundent a professional and a soloist simultaneously??? I mean a standart quality that haves beautyfull sound and something tha you could be able to perfom all the range of playing. Do you get whta I mean??? And dont start me with the set ups the luthiers and all this... I AM TALKING FOR THE STANDART QUALITY instrument!!!! I am waiting for your comments.... some examples for the standart quality theme(acoustic guitar must Fender, low quality Aria) (great quality violin stradivarius midle ....idont know)(the best pickup Techniks mk2) and all this... I hope it helps you...

At that price it looks as if it would be a good starter instrument but I don't know anything about the make. Beware though that DBs bought mail order will often arrive with the bridge down. That means you will probably have to have it set up properly by a luthier or the like. You would have to factor that into the cost.

A real DB will sound and feel very different to a Stagg as well.

Not played one but I think it is important to note that double basses are a whole dfferent ball game to electrics and there is no 'standard'. Two basses made by the sme person will be different.

This bass is a better quality beginners bass and is probably as good as any other for that price. Personally, I would say go for it and worry about getting the bass of your dreams later on when you are able to play the thing and know what the better basses are about. I bought my bass mail order and its fine (Gedo Musik Germany £1,400). Its not as good as a really good bass but it is perfectly good to learn and gig on. I know all of the arguments about playing the bass first etc but, in the real world where I live, I couldn't afford to spend £600 driving all over the UK trying out basses so just jumped in and bought one that had an ok reputation. I don't regret it.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1036319' date='Nov 25 2010, 01:41 PM']Not played one but I think it is important to note that double basses are a whole dfferent ball game to electrics and there is no 'standard'. Two basses made by tThis bass is a better quality beginners bass and is probably as good as any other for that price. Personally, I would say go for it and worry about getting the bass of your dreams later on when you are able to play the thing and know what the better basses are about. I bought my bass mail order and its fine (Gedo Musik Germany £1,400). Its not as good as a really good bass but it is perfectly good to learn and gig on. I know all of the arguments about playing the bass first etc but, in the real world where I live, I couldn't afford to spend £600 driving all over the UK trying out basses so just jumped in and bought one that had an ok reputation. I don't regret it.[/quote]

+1.

Unless you are about to be parachuted straight into an orchestra I don't think you need to worry too much about the quality of your first instrument. I literally bought the first bass someone gave me to try out, it was playable, I liked the sounds I could make with it, and it was so cheap that I wouldn't be worried about smacking it against every door jamb in my house (which I subsequently have done). It's done acoustic gigs with my reggae band, it's been bowed on a festival stage, it's done a duet with another bassist, it'll be recorded by the BBC next week! And all for five hundred quid! No regrets at all. :)

There is a lot to learn as a beginner double bassist, so my advice would be to choose one and buy it as soon as possible.

Ok... I appreciate your help but I have more and more questions... is this solid thing good? or its better carved and what the difference from the laminated and about the back other are flat and ather not... whats the difference and what did they mean with the semi-massive double basses? Are there skinny and fat double basses??? are they different at the sound?? Sorry for the questions but we dont have any story in our country and I had very little experience... And something else I had played only with two double basses one was one a store and it has a mat discusting fingerboard and the other was my teachers which has a kind of sheen fingerboard... Is the same matterial but became like this after use or something else.... Can anyone help me? I am sure you can and I am sure that you find a kind of stupid this questions...Thanks again...

[quote name='Eoz' post='1036552' date='Nov 25 2010, 04:21 PM']is this solid thing good? or its better carved and what the difference from the laminated[/quote]

"Solid" means the same thing as "carved" - one piece of wood which has been cut to the right shape. Bassed with carved fronts and backs are usually more expensive and they can sound better as they get older. Laminated basses don't sound as lively but they are cheaper and easier to care for (carved basses can develop cracks if you don't care for them properly).

[quote name='Eoz' post='1036552' date='Nov 25 2010, 04:21 PM']and about the back other are flat and ather not... whats the difference[/quote]

It doesn't matter, they are just different shapes.

[quote name='Eoz' post='1036552' date='Nov 25 2010, 04:21 PM']and what did they mean with the semi-massive double basses? Are there skinny and fat double basses??? are they different at the sound??[/quote]

Double basses come in different sizes (height), the most common size is 3/4, but some people play 4/4 scale basses. Is that what you mean? I think "semi-massive" is a bad translation, I've never heard this description before.

[quote name='Eoz' post='1036552' date='Nov 25 2010, 04:21 PM']And something else I had played only with two double basses one was one a store and it has a mat discusting fingerboard and the other was my teachers which has a kind of sheen fingerboard... Is the same matterial but became like this after use or something else.... Can anyone help me? I am sure you can and I am sure that you find a kind of stupid this questions...Thanks again...[/quote]

Most expensive basses use ebony for the fingerboard because it is hard, cheaper basses use other woods like rosewood or maple, but then dye it black to make it look like ebony. Don't judge a bass too much on its materials, a cheap laminated bass with a rosewood fingerboard can still be a good bass.

Edited by thisnameistaken

Some retailers make reference to solid or carved basses as being "massive".
Solid and carved are different though. You can buy a bass made with solid wood which isn't carved. Basically they take a solid wood board, wet it and form it, and from what I've seen and heard are inferior in terms of lifespan and tone to a carved bass.
As for fingerboards, a good quality ebony or other similar density board such as rosewood is preferable. Some basses have softwood fingerboards which get eaten by the strings quickly.
As for carved or plywood, not all carved basses are better than plywood basses. If a bass is not carved right, a plywood bass can play and and sound better than a poorly made carved bass.

hey you guys you are a great school... honestly!!! but despite your great contribution at my progress... BuT bUT BUT one of my questions remained unanswered... i HAVE SEEN SOME REALY BAD FINGERBOARDS... with the term bad I mean that THEY ARE MAT, and I creep when I am touching something with that feeling... I had chills ... I am talking for the felling of playing on wall, LIKE sandpapper or like something that wants to be worked with sandpapper... is that a progress of the set up that a luthier does??? is that the feeling that you get from the different woods like ebony or rosewood??? is that something that makes clear that is a painted fingerboard??? Its looks important to me beacause as I am watching the pics Of the bass I am talking at the beging, and its pretty sure, that its has a fingerboard like those I describe you... Thanks again!!!

Edited by Eoz

hey you guys you are a great school... honestly!!! but despite your great contribution at my progress... BuT bUT BUT one of my questions remained unanswered... i HAVE SEEN SOME REALY BAD FINGERBOARDS... with the term bad I mean that THEY ARE MAT, and I creep when I am touching something with that feeling... I had chills ... I am talking for the felling of playing on wall, LIKE sandpapper or like something that wants to be worked with sandpapper... is that a progress of the set up that a luthier does??? is that the feeling that you get from the different woods like ebony or rosewood??? is that something that makes clear that is a painted fingerboard??? Its looks important to me beacause as I am watching the pics Of the bass I am talking at the beging, and its pretty sure, that its has a fingerboard like those I describe you... Thanks again!!!

Ok say everything you want I do something to make clear that I am too kid, too stupid and conceited... I am talking for the picture at the bottom... :) Ι do feel bad with some surfaces... tell me.. is something about ebony? about the luthiers after buying work? Or its my stupidity and all the basses has fingerboard like that, and after a lot of playing the make a beautyfull sheen surface...

The picture on the left looks normal, many basses I've seen are finished like that.

I'd get out there and play a lot of instruments and find one that has the sound you're after. My bass is one of those ugly orange ones and I'd prefer a different shape BUT, it gets the sound I want and that is more important to me than the looks at this point. My one "playability" factor is the shape of the neck. I find it hard to play basses with a V contoured neck and the thin necks are tricky as well. Mine is a D contour and as wide as the business end of a Louisville Slugger (base ball bat) but that's what suites me and my playing style. I guess aesthetics aren't as big an issue for me.