Why become a member? ×

Muffs and Spiders

TomTFS

Had a search but can't really find anything definitive.

I need a new muff type fuzz, and I'm kinda torn between the Wicker Muff and the Bass Muff. Anyone had experience with both?
I'm currently using a Fuzzhugger ABSynth but it's just far too OTT for just straight up dirty sounds.

Any other suggestions while I'm looking at muffs? Not really bothered about much of a clean blend as long as there's good bottom end, or a tone control.

Then I started looking at the Verellen Big Spider too, but it's a bit pricey . . .

I have a Bass Muff and it does a pretty nice job with fuzz. Can go from overdrive to fuzz with the turn of the drive knob and the dry option switch retains your clean bass sound mixing the fx with the volume knob. I recomend it but, as always, it's best if you try one before buying. What works for me could not work for you!
I use mine to play "Time is running out" (boosting the lows in my bass pre and using the dry blend of the BBM) but i also turn the fuzz down just to drive my 3leaf GR. For mild OD i'm using a Fulltone Bass Drive Mosfet.

well I've not tried that spider pedal, doubt too many will have! looks very retro-cool styled though.

if you're after a muff-like sound, the bass big muff surely ticks all the boxes. i love mine, does exactly what i wanted, a muff-like sound without the low end loss. i'm sure there are some muff-like alternatives, take a look on bassfuzz.com maybe, i'm sure i remember some other pedals on there described as being 'muff-like'.

i paid £49 for my bass mig muff though (with a free EHX t-shirt too!), and doubt you'll get much more muff-related bang for your buck

I had the Big Spider and returned it. It has a really brash top end and no tone control to filter it out, it also drops a lot of low end. I bet it would sound awesome into a cranked tube amp into a vintage style cab, but not through a clean solid state rig or with tweeters!

The Way Huge Swollen Pickle is supposed to be awesome on bass too, after the internal controls have been adjusted for maximum awesomeness.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1035751' date='Nov 24 2010, 11:14 PM']I had the Big Spider and returned it. It has a really brash top end and no tone control to filter it out, it also drops a lot of low end. I bet it would sound awesome into a cranked tube amp into a vintage style cab, but not through a clean solid state rig or with tweeters!

The Way Huge Swollen Pickle is supposed to be awesome on bass too, after the internal controls have been adjusted for maximum awesomeness.[/quote]

I probably wouldn't like it then. Problem I'm having is I have the treble cranked quite a bit on my sansamp but i I like my fuzz to be more wall of bass kinda thing.
Yea, the way huge one was another I was looking at. Also tempted by a Musket since someone's selling one on here. Or might go for the Bass Muff and mod it the same as yours.

Argh, decisions.