Why become a member? ×

Transformers!

ashevans09

[quote name='ashevans09' post='118237' date='Jan 10 2008, 11:07 PM']Anyone know a good online place to buy quality 240/120 step down transformers? Or a national chain of stores that stock them?

I'm looking for something that could deal with an amp here :)

Thanks,

Ash[/quote]

[url="http://tinyurl.com/2spbr6"]http://tinyurl.com/2spbr6[/url]

Edited by bremen

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='118565' date='Jan 11 2008, 02:45 PM']A transformer capable of handling the power draw of an amp will require no less than the same VA rating as the transformer in the amp, so you might as well just replace that. Before doing so RTFM and be sure the amp doesn't have a dual primary that can be reconfigured for 240.[/quote]

Absolutely agree. 9/10 when this question gets asked its about a US Ampeg being used in the UK :)

Ash, what Amp are you using it with?

[quote name='ashevans09' post='118237' date='Jan 10 2008, 11:07 PM']I'm looking for something that could deal with an amp here :)[/quote]

I might have misunderstood the meaning of 'an amp' - do you mean an ampere or an amplifier? the link I posted is good for an ampere but as others have said if it's a bass amplifier you'll need a lot more.

[quote name='dood' post='118671' date='Jan 11 2008, 04:44 PM']I'm guessing this is the one in question. In which case, certain models do have a configurable primary winding.[/quote]

Moisture vaporators? Sir, my first job was programming binary load lifters. :)

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='ashevans09' post='119200' date='Jan 12 2008, 05:27 PM']Sorry about that, I meant amp as in amplifier head.

I was thinking of moving to mesa, and due to their stupid prices over here I was going to pick one up from America...[/quote]

Why not contact the shop in the states where you want to buy it before you go and see if they can get a UK export model? Could save a lot of agro.
Cheers Just

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='120233' date='Jan 14 2008, 05:21 PM']Or download a manual.[/quote]

I suspect very few manuals include a schematic diagram of the amp. Though having said that.. it is *possible* to locate said schematics on the web instead.

[quote name='dood' post='120298' date='Jan 14 2008, 01:23 PM']I suspect very few manuals include a schematic diagram of the amp. Though having said that.. it is *possible* to locate said schematics on the web instead.[/quote]
A schematic isn't a necessity per se, the main idea is to see if the manual specifies dual voltage operation. Most amps from at least the last decade are, as it's cheaper for the manufacturer to stock one transformer that will work either way rather than two.