Why become a member? ×

Evenin' All. Fancy advising me...

Tet

[quote name='harvey1-8' post='1034210' date='Nov 23 2010, 06:49 PM']I think bobbass4k on here uses a Rat, he'd be able to give you more info.[/quote]

Ooh, I got a mention, sweet.

I do indeed use a Turbo Rat, at the moment it's my main distortion. I absolutely love it, I think the distortion "character" (that sounded less poncy in my head...) is perfect for a bass distortion. It's not transparent like an Overdrive, the only real distinction in sound you'll get is between fingers and a pick (which is actually a big difference). But it's not as full on as a fuzz. I use a blender with it, but I wouldn't say it's necaserry, it depends what kind of sound you want. Max (silentfly) does bass mods to the Turbo Rat.

I'll try and record some clips when I get the time.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='1040623' date='Nov 28 2010, 11:42 PM']Ooh, I got a mention, sweet.

I do indeed use a Turbo Rat, at the moment it's my main distortion. I absolutely love it, I think the distortion "character" (that sounded less poncy in my head...) is perfect for a bass distortion. It's not transparent like an Overdrive, the only real distinction in sound you'll get is between fingers and a pick (which is actually a big difference). But it's not as full on as a fuzz. I use a blender with it, but I wouldn't say it's necaserry, it depends what kind of sound you want. Max (silentfly) does bass mods to the Turbo Rat.

I'll try and record some clips when I get the time.[/quote]

Have actually (without looking at this until just now) been checking out Turbo Rat mods this evening. Basically (bass-ically?) what I'm planning on doing is getting my hands on the M80, but if I can get hold of a modded Turbo Rat too, and compare/contrast...

Hmm.

My thanks for all your replies so far guys, it's been very helpful in narrowing down the field to just a few options!
M80, Turbo Rat Mod, or Fulltone Mosfet, I'm thinking.

Ibby phat head, works every time for me. Copied this from a review of a gig we did last year, get this a lot re the distortion from the Ibby. Almost everyone seems to like.

[quote]Next up were Castero from Tipperary, usually a four piece they stepped out tonight as 3 piece minus their second guitarist.
Johhny – Guitar/Vocals, Mog – Bass & Spanner on Drums.
The lads had told me before hand that certain songs had to be dropped because of this however it didn't seem to phase them playing as a 3 piece and they went on cranked it up and played a great set.
One thing that stood out for me was the dirty fuzzed bass sound which really added that extra touch of power to the songs.[/quote]

[quote name='Tet' post='1041864' date='Nov 30 2010, 12:13 AM']My thanks for all your replies so far guys, it's been very helpful in narrowing down the field to just a few options!
M80, Turbo Rat Mod, or Fulltone Mosfet, I'm thinking.[/quote]

I'd get a dirt cheap Rat and get it modded, at least if you don't like it you won't have spent much cash. Borrow/try all the rest of the ones you want to try, if you say where you are I'm sure people on here would let you try their gear out. This is one of the friendliest forums I've come across on the net. Let us know what you go with and your thoughts.

And if anything, I've been inspired to listen to some classic cave In as a result of this thread.