Why become a member? ×

Fuzz killing longer analog delays...

GazWills

Hey,

hoping somebody can shed some light here. I use a maxon ad9-pro for my delay sound, and I really love it. great analog delay sound, and funky oscillations too!

the problem comes when i use a fuzz before it (I assume my problem is common to all fuzzes, though i've only got an EHX bass big muff and a mammoth clone to try with)... basically, the fuzz kills the delay, or should i say notably reduces the volume and feedback (no. of delays). Could this be due to some heavy filtering to reduce noise at the higher delay lengths?

Anyway, this is really bugging me, and in case that's just the way it is with analog delays over 300 or 400ms, are there any digital delays that won't have this problem with fuzz (i.e. they can still give some clear-ish repeats), but still have a warm analog-esque sound when using clean tones, and preferably nice anolog-sounding decay (I imagine not, but worth an ask!!!)

cheers!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1034723' date='Nov 24 2010, 08:24 AM']I get the same issue with any fix into the Carbon Copy. Digital delays work just fine though![/quote]

that's cool, I was worried it may have been a quirk with the maxon delay - yeah, tried it with my DD-3 and it works much better (albeit without any soul!!!)

actually tried the fuzz after the AD9, as was suggested. scope for some cool sounds there, and an oscillating delay into a big muff is a lot of fun... even better, then tried oscillating fuzz into phaser, then into muff - sounds insane!

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='1034871' date='Nov 24 2010, 11:04 AM']Remember with analog delays the repeats are much darker so depending on the fuzz and the delay models it seems quite possible that the repeat echo's could get lost among the fuzz. Sorry, other than trying a different (perhaps a less high gain fuzz and maybe an analog delay with a longer repeat, up to 600ms or so).[/quote]

the maxon goes up to 450ms, but it's not that it gets lost, more that the repeated notes are soooo quiet and lo-fi, you can't really make them out at all!