Why become a member? ×

Boss TU2 tuner (or the TU3)

daz

Re the recent 'most owned pedals' topic. The [i][url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boss-TU2-chromatic-tuner-pedal/dp/B0002CZVHS"]Boss TU2 [/url][/i]was the most owned pedal. Although disqualified on a technicality of it being a tuner, not an effects pedal.

My question is simply. What makes this tuner such a popular one? I mean its price of £70 or so means that there are lots of seemingly good chromatic tuners out there that were looked over in favour of the Boss TU2. ie: Why is it any better than my seemingly equally popular [i][url="http://www.amazon.com/Korg-GA1-Guitar-Bass-Tuner/dp/B002HPMTZU"]Korg GA1 [/url]guitar & bass tuner[/i], costing £10 ?

So whats the gen on this tuner then ? Should I sling my Korg and buy a TU2 ( or its new upgraded model the TU3 ?)

ps: Does anyone have any thoughts on the cheaper copy [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-TU300-Chromatic-Tuner-pedal/dp/B000SJJCX4/ref=pd_cp_MI_1"]Behringer TU3000[/url]

pps: The Behringer TU300 weights on the Amazon web site are as follows;

[i]Item Weight: 386 g
Boxed-product Weight:[b] 6[/b] Kg. [/i] ------------------------- That'l be the new eco friendly cast iron packaging, with a small carbon footprint then? :)

Edited by daz

Availability. Since tuners are considered much of a muchness, they are easy to pick up anywhere. I think they predate most of the contenders, meaning they are more available second hand, and how often do you have tuner GAS once you have a functional stomp box?

I bought three froma band liquidation early on and homed them all easily with people I knew, no reason to have anything else since.

i have that beringher pedal and mines awful, have to fret the strings at the 12th fret most of the time for it to be picked up, and then when i plug my bass in to the guitarist polytune its not properly in tune. it works ok with guitar though but its made out of plastic and anything that could fall of it has fell of it. i borrowed a pitchblack last practise an for 50quid im going to go for one of them.

Edited by soysuperbien

Originally had a TU-80 hanging off of the back of my practice amp, but didn't have a mute function.

TU-2 on the floor is much easier, and I don't have to keep wandering over to mute and un-mute the head now. Plus the thing's pretty much bullet-proof and built like a brick outhouse. Haven't tried anything else apart from the Korg DT-10, which seems to be fairly popular as well. Not had any complaints about my tuning accuracy either :)

HTH, Ian

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1033707' date='Nov 23 2010, 11:31 AM']I think the TU2/3 is one of those industry standards. Its well made, does the job, and is readily available, so poeple tend to buy it, and once satisfied, tend not to stray from what they know, unless looking for improvements.[/quote]

+1
i have the Tu2.. it's build like a brick, which is great if you gig alot..industry standard etc.. If I bought a new one in 2050 :-), when this one breaks who knows.. I was interested in the TC but I've heard from a few guys is not that great on acoustic guitars... but I have the TC on my iPhone (was fee then) and it's great for basses and guitars. I sometimes do carry my TU2 to rehearsals if I'm feelng lazy.

I use the TU2 it on my bass, guitar and acoustic and it's simple and good. The Bypass is important. I'd only get the TU3 if they were the same price or the TU2 was discontinued..

[quote name='daz' post='1032956' date='Nov 22 2010, 05:45 PM']Although disqualified on a technicality of it being a tuner, not an effects pedal.[/quote]

I would argue the toss on this statement. If you don't use it when you play your bass will be out of tune and 'effect' your performance :)

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1033712' date='Nov 23 2010, 11:34 AM']+1 to the above. The Korg Pitchblack is another popular design in a similar price bracket, mostly thanks to its' true bypass.[/quote]

Hmm, having true bypass puts me off, a decent buffer at the start of your chain is far preferable.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1036355' date='Nov 25 2010, 02:03 PM']Hmm, having true bypass puts me off, a decent buffer at the start of your chain is far preferable.[/quote]
why compromise the sound at the start of the chain?.. why compromise it ever? Bass and effects are tricky enough as it is trying to get the mix of low end and effects

[quote name='algmusic' post='1036363' date='Nov 25 2010, 02:07 PM']why compromise the sound at the start of the chain?.. why compromise it ever? Bass and effects are tricky enough as it is trying to get the mix of low end and effects[/quote]

Buffering at the start of the fx chain is beneficial to tone, true bypass compromises it by effectively changing the length of you signal path and impedance loading on your pickups whenever you switch, whereas buffering the start of the chain maintains its integrity by providing a consistent loading on your pickups, assuming you are passive.