Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn

Wilco

There is a possibility that I may be buying a bass from another basschatter, but should I do that I will need to generate some funds first! As a result, for sale is my much loved Maverick S5 (in fact I have two of these!).

In case you have never heard of Maverick, they were a British manufacturer that closed it's doors a couple of years ago. If you have heard of Maverick then you will already know of their reputation of producing excellent guitars & basses that punched massively above their pricepoint.

About this one in particular, I bought it from a local guy early in 2007. Condition wise it did suffer from an incident of strap failure in 2008 which has caused some cosmetic issues, but in absolutely no way at all effects playability or sound which is why I have been happily using it since.

Condition then: headstock is fine, neck is fantastic - excellent fretwork, no sharp edges & I cant find a deadspot. Body - the finish has slightly rubbed away (thanks to a Planet Waves locking strap) on the top bout (covered up by the strap). Around the jack socket on the back lower edge of the body is where the majority of the cosmetic issues are - there is a chip through the finish & a couple of cracks in the finish. There is a 3cm crack in the finish (which is difficult to see unless close up) on the front of the body by the rear volume control. All these were caused by the same strap failing incident as the bass has been very well looked after generally. Other than this, there is the usual bucklerash. Despite this, as you can see from the pictures, it still looks great.

Component wise the instrument scores very highly :- two piece American Alder body, Canadian rock maple neck, AAA Indian rosewood fretboard, Maverick branded Gotoh tuners & an ABM bridge. Active circuit with adjustable gain trimpot in the body cavity (foil lined & paint screened) & 3 band EQ. It's got a natural woody tone, but add some bass & treble & reduce the mids it can sound thunderous!! One other thing to note is the narrow string spacing which just aids playability once you get used to it.

The new RRP on these was originally £599 & as I write, there is a used one for sale on Ebay for over £400. Due to the cosmetics I am selling this for £195 which is a steal. I just cant think of another 5 string active bass that will get close to this one in terms of ease of playing, sound & quality components for that kind of money.

I would rather deliver or meet up with a buyer instead of trusting a courier. Happy to travel up to an hour away from Swindon at no extra cost.

Edited by Wilco

'Erm, Photobucket newbie here! I've just listed an amp & now think the link I've posted for that is the same as the one on this listing. Bottom rightish of the screen there is another album which has has the Mav pics in!! (hopefully....)

The bass is the one in my profile pic (with the pesky Levy's strap on...............).

Edited by Wilco

Hi, just a little tip for posting the photo's. Go to the album and hold the mouse over the picture and a little box pops up around it with a button that says 'share|copy', under that it says 'IMG code' and next to it a box with some code in it. Click on that code and it's automatically copied. Then when your typing your post here, just hold down Ctrl and press v on the keyboard and the code will be pasted like so;

[ IMG ]http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/paulwilcock/Maverick%20S5/CIMG2796.jpg[ /IMG ]

but without the spaces. When you submit your post the code will show up in the thread like this:

Edited by wotnwhy

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='1032575' date='Nov 22 2010, 01:38 PM']Hi, just a little tip for posting the photo's. Go to the album and hold the mouse over the picture and a little box pops up around it with a button that says 'share|copy', under that it says 'IMG code' and next to it a box with some code in it. Click on that code and it's automatically copied. Then when your typing your post here, just hold down Ctrl and press v on the keyboard and the code will be pasted like so;

[ IMG ]http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/paulwilcock/Maverick%20S5/CIMG2796.jpg[ /IMG ]

but without the spaces. When you submit your post the code will show up in the thread like this:

[/quote]

You are indeed a top banana - many thanks for the tip & original post amended accordingly!

Thanks again.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='1032575' date='Nov 22 2010, 01:38 PM']Hi, just a little tip for posting the photo's. Go to the album and hold the mouse over the picture and a little box pops up around it with a button that says 'share|copy', under that it says 'IMG code' and next to it a box with some code in it. Click on that code and it's automatically copied. Then when your typing your post here, just hold down Ctrl and press v on the keyboard and the code will be pasted like so;

[/quote]

Fancy seeing you here tom...

On a serious note these basses are class for this money! Metal like!

[quote name='williams84' post='1034067' date='Nov 23 2010, 04:18 PM']Fancy seeing you here tom...

On a serious note these basses are class for this money! Metal like![/quote]

As above "On a serious note these basses are class for this money!" - proper true!

This is a 'what, this post is already on page 4 - that's no good' bump!