Why become a member? ×

P bass lyte v Duff Mckagan P bass

andyj

Hi folks, i need a bit of advice.
As an old retired player, i have in my collection an old Fender P bass Lyte. My 15 year old son has been giging for a while using a P bass fitted with EMG pu's or my Stingray, so he obviously like that type of sound. He has a asked for a Duff Mckagan bass, which i am willing to buy for him out of his gig earnings but i wondered how this bass compares with the Lyte that i already have.
Has anyone experienced the two basses.

[quote name='andyj' post='1028488' date='Nov 18 2010, 09:28 PM']Hi folks, i need a bit of advice.
As an old retired player, i have in my collection an old Fender P bass Lyte. My 15 year old son has been giging for a while using a P bass fitted with EMG pu's or my Stingray, so he obviously like that type of sound. He has a asked for a Duff Mckagan bass, which i am willing to buy for him out of his gig earnings but i wondered how this bass compares with the Lyte that i already have.
Has anyone experienced the two basses.[/quote]

The current Duff sig bass is a fine bass but very overpriced in my opinion, for what it is. I've seen the original basses from the 80s/90s from time to time and they go for a lot less.

Trouble is that when you've got the GAS for something in particular then that's it isn't it :)
The DM sig is a really good looking bass IMO and as for overpriced take a look at the cost of the Masterbuilt version - 4,200 Euros :)
Click [url="http://www.station-music.de/index.html"]HERE[/url]. Once there click on 'Bass' on the left side , Then select Fender from the 'Basses' dropdown menu and look down the list for it.

JTB

That is seriously expensive. Especially when, if what I`ve read is true, Duffs Fenders are "inexpensive Fenders from the 80s". So in other words, they`ve taken a 500 Dollar bass, recreated it, albeit with better parts than the original, and are now selling it for 5000 Dollars.

I`m in the wrong business :)

Seriously though, I really wanted one of the Duff basses, but couldn`t get hold of one, so bought a Fender Aerodyne Jazz (which Duff also uses). Quick swap of a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack into the bridge, instant Duff sound. Depends if your son really wants a white bass or not, but the Aerodyne is very cool looking, and both plays and sounds great.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1028714' date='Nov 18 2010, 11:54 PM']That is seriously expensive. Especially when, if what I`ve read is true, Duffs Fenders are "inexpensive Fenders from the 80s". So in other words, they`ve taken a 500 Dollar bass, recreated it, albeit with better parts than the original, and are now selling it for 5000 Dollars.

I`m in the wrong business :)

Seriously though, I really wanted one of the Duff basses, but couldn`t get hold of one, so bought a Fender Aerodyne Jazz (which Duff also uses). Quick swap of a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack into the bridge, instant Duff sound. Depends if your son really wants a white bass or not, but the Aerodyne is very cool looking, and both plays and sounds great.[/quote]

Exept Duffs own Aerodyne Jazzbasses have a custom neck which matches his signatures, or is more P in shape,

The Duff is a great great bass, i agree overpriced but i would get the Duff!

I've played a Lyte against the Duff (when i was looking for a P/J) and i prefered the DM, don't know much about the Precision Lyte though, i'm sure a few people on her own one or the other or even both!

Edited by AttitudeCastle