Why become a member? ×

Which Hipshot d-tuner for Jazz? (confusion)

mcnach

So I have this cheap Westfield B4000 bass, a Jazz copy. It is very nice. I mean, it's ugly (green, blergh) but it felt and sounded quite good... so I installed a J-Retro premap on it and... it's amazing. I've been leaving my Stingray at home for the past few days and using this one instead to explore the possibilities of the new preamp, and I just keep grinning like an idiot :)

Yesterday I sort of bumped into an audition for a Rage Against The Machine tribute band, with the Jazz bass, and walked out as a new member of the band. Because being in two bands already wasn't enough :)

The thing is, there's a hell of a lot of drop-D stuff and it gets boring easily to manually detune/retune. I have d-tuners already on my Stingray, my OLP, and the Warwick $$... but I suspect I'll end up playing the Jazz mostly in this band, so I need another D-tuner.

The question is... which one????

It was straight forward for teh Stingray/Warwick... but I'm utterly confused for the Jazz.

I look at the Hipshot page, and I think that the BT7 or the BT10 will probably do, even if I'm almost sure teh holes will not align, but I'll make new ones. However, the BT3 looks *a lot* like the ones I have already, so I feel I'd buy those... but in teh description it says something about vintage Fenders, reverse winding blah blah blah... What? Reverse winding? what is that? I mean, I can wind teh string anyway I want.... what am I missing?
There's like 4 types of Hipshot d-tuners, for mexican, for japanese, for preCBS style, for this and the other... and I'm a little confused. I'd go for the BT3 as they look more like the ones I already have but... the "reverse winding" comment throws me out and confuses me. I'm just a bass player after all :lol:

I don't have pictures with me right now... but I found an ad the previous owner of my very bass plaxced on music radar, and you can just about make out the tuners:

[url="http://www.musicradar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53616"]Westfield B4000[/url]

any idea what the reverse winding refers to?
Looks-wise, it's teh closest match and I'd buy it right away, if it wasn't for that comment.

Nice work on the bands.

Reverse winding simply means that they go the opposite way to conventional tuners (i.e., if you turned them to decrease pitch on a conventional tuner, they would in fact increase the pitch). The reverse (60's Fenders) and normal winding tuners (70 Fenders) look pretty much identical bar a few details, so if the reverse looks right, just the the non-reverse model?

C

Reverse tuners are the old-style ones you see on 50s & 50s reissue basses. To tune get into they go backwards compared to normal tuners. You won't want one of those. Without a pic of the back of the headstock, your best bet is to eyeball it and pick the one that most resembles your current tuner. I'd guess that you'd need either a GT5, BT7 or BT10.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1027662' date='Nov 18 2010, 09:57 AM']Thanks for clarifying that for me. So the gear works the oposite way on the BT3. Interesting! I had no idea.

Hipshot Bass X-tender model BT7 just ordered! :)[/quote]

I know i may sound stupid, but i was looking at the order form for the BT7, and there was an option for Bass side or Treble side, what does this mean?

[quote name='Simmo' post='1027982' date='Nov 18 2010, 02:50 PM']I know i may sound stupid, but i was looking at the order form for the BT7, and there was an option for Bass side or Treble side, what does this mean?[/quote]

You can detune strings other than the bottom one, and on 2 a side headstocks.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1027988' date='Nov 18 2010, 02:54 PM']You can detune strings other than the bottom one, and on 2 a side headstocks.[/quote]

ah i get it now me thinks, :) so if i wanted to downtune the E string i would choose Bass side? I knew it would be a stupid question