Why become a member? ×

Remote power for active basses

dincz

I'm really not keen on having to carry round another box. I'm too lazy, too old, live on the third floor and there's no lift. My bass is switchable active/passive and it's a true passive i.e. it works without the battery, so plugging into other gear when necessary is not a problem if I keep the existing jack.

Modding the amp isn't a problem either. It would be done in such a way as to be reversible if I wanted to sell it. A bit of work initially but a lot simpler in the long term. Probably the biggest hitch is using preamps/effects between bass and amp. I'm currently using a BDI21, so in fact I'd probably mod that rather than the amp. I run the BDI off an AC adapter rather than a battery as I've heard they eat batteries pretty fast, but either way there's 9V already available without building a regulator.

I really like the wind-up idea. You had me seriously thinking about how big a cavity I'd need to rout in the bass. A bit of winding mid-set (or mid-song) could add a new dimension to the performance - and might be more entertaining than my playing :)

What happens when you want to use a wireless system? :) I'd rather have a wireless system and a battery in my bass than no battery and a lead hanging out. The only problems with batteries is they run out, which shouldn't be a problem if you change them every 6 months. A battery would probably weigh less than a lead dangling out of your bass and if you trip over the battery that's powering your bass, you're doing something very wrong. :)

[quote name='dincz' post='1026352' date='Nov 16 2010, 09:48 PM']That [4 pin XLR] looks like the best option then. The Neutrik version seems to be readily available in Europe. I thought they were used for DMX but apparently that's the 5 pin version.[/quote]

DMX is, strictly speaking & sticking to the standard, 5 pin XLR. However, many DMX items use 3 pin XLR instead or as well.

4 pin XLRs are readily available, with a number of variants stocked by CPC. The only area I've found them in use is to provide power to gooseneck lights for some mixers - Allen & Heath use them. Some radio packs use mini 4-pin XLRs to attach lav mics, too.

A slight downside to using XLRs for instument connection is that they're normally locking connectors. Sounds great in theory, but consider the moment where you outstretch your lead. With conventional jacks, the lead simply comes out - embarassing, but quick & easy to rectify. With locking XLRs you could damage the instrument, amp, or the lead - and you may not be able to recover. That said, you can usually remove the locking latch from XLRs, so that'd get you round that - although they're then a little *less* secure than jacks...

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1026990' date='Nov 17 2010, 03:51 PM']A wind up bass guitar ?? As per wind up torch or radio??[/quote]
That would be good for an active 6 string guitar to get its power from something connected to the tremolo arm. However it would probably only work for guitarists who like to play the type of solos where they have to pull funny faces.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1027864' date='Nov 18 2010, 12:57 PM']That would be good for an active 6 string guitar to get its power from something connected to the tremolo arm.[/quote]
Something connected to the tremolo arm? That would be the guitarist, wouldn't it?