Why become a member? ×

SOLD!

NJE

Hi everyone,

Trying a different approach to my descriptions when selling so all details and info is below, hopefully its a bit more to the point than I usually am :)

[b]About the Bass:[/b]
This is an Overwater J Series 5 string Custom Classic, built in 2003. As far as I am aware it is an Ash body (it feels and sounds very similar to my old Fender which was Ash) but the Classic J Series have an option of Tulipwood or Sycamore as well so it could well be either of those. It also has a maple neck with a Birdseye Maple fingerboard which is stunning.
The hardware is all Hipshot, Ultralite tuners and B style bridge. The pickups are Kent Armstrong’s made for Overwater before they started using their own I believe, and the bass is fitted with a John East BTB-01 EQ. This is essentially the Bass/Treble stack pot from the J-Retro 01 which is bass boost only, treble cut and boost, and a pull for ‘bright’. I don’t like a lot of knobs on basses so this is perfect for me. The Bass and Treble are very flexible as you would expect from John East and the bright is great for slap.

[b]Why I am selling it if it’s so great:[/b]
I have had the bass several months and it is fantastic in every way. This is my second Overwater and the build is stunning, the sound is fantastic, and it plays like a dream. The simple reason for sale is that I am just not getting a lot of use out of the B string and I have a bad GAS attack for something new, it is no reflection on the bass, just fancy something different. I am looking for a really nice 4 string and need to raise some cash to fund it. In an ideal world, like most folks on here, I would have the cash to keep it.

[b]Condition:[/b]
This is not a bass that has been sat in a bedroom or stuck on a wall, never played, never gigged, never been out of the house. It is a working bass and is 7 years old this month and as such it has marks and knocks. If you want an exhibition/museum piece this is not the bass for you, it has been played and loved and used like an instrument should. The most notable knock is the one on the edge of the body which I pictured below.
I got the bass in a trade and it came to me in this condition. I had my second thoughts about taking a bass with damage (I usually like mint condition basses) but in fact because it had a few marks I wasn’t too overprotective of it and happy to gig it.

Before the bass arrived I had the cash to pay for a re-spray with Overwater in case it bothered me, but to be honest, once I received it played it and plugged it in I never gave it another thought. I saved the cash and it has not bothered me since. I also did think about having the jack moved to the end of the bass and convert to 4 knobs so the jack would be where the mark is but again it didn’t bother me that much but may be an option for anyone interested in it.
The knock doesn’t affect the playability and you don’t know it’s even there unless you turn it up on end. It also has a few tiny marks which don’t show in the photographs and some buckle rash which I have tried to capture in the pictures. Again all marks and dings were on the bass when I got it, I have not added any more. I accept that on most instruments, dings and knocks reduce value, unless of course you have a vintage Fender in which case it’s put down as mystical ‘Mojo’ and a good thing, so I have reflected its condition in the price below.

[b]Price:[/b]
I got this in a trade for a bass that was itself traded and so on, so judging a price for this is difficult as I didn’t hand over any money. So I have done my best to judge a fair price and here is the logic behind it. If you feel my calculations are incorrect and have an opinion on what I should be charging please PM me with your thoughts and I will happily take comments on board.

A new Overwater J Series Classic starts at £2095, a figured Maple fingerboard is an extra charge of £195, Hipshot Hardware judging by the overwater site is an extra £100, and the John East BTB unit is £107. This gives a replacement value of approx £2497.
I have seen Overwater J Series basses up on here for anything between £1000 for more ‘standard’ spec, and up to £2000 for some good condition basses which were a bit fancier.

I am asking for £950 for this with like new Hiscox case (which didn’t come with the bass originally and retail at about £70). I feel in mint condition this bass would be worth about £1200 so I have taken off the rough price of a re finish or the cost of a new preamp and relocating the jack to the end of the bass.

Trade wise I am after a four string, and I am looking for a MusicMan Stingray or Fender Jazz although open to anything with a Fender inspired design. There is also possible cash available towards the right bass if you have something along the lines of: Fender Custom Shop, Vintage Fender, Nordy, Sadowsky etc.

[b]Other info:[/b]
If anyone is genuinely interested and wants to come and play the bass they are welcome and I will happily ship it insured but will need to discuss postage costs first. I will take PayPal but obviously cash on collection would be ideal all round.

Please PM me if you have any questions, and now pictures:

[attachment=63932:Front_on_stand.jpg][attachment=63931:Front_on.jpg][attachment=63933:Neck_and_Body.
jpg][attachment=63935:Birdseye_neck.jpg][attachment=63934:OW_head.jpg][attachment=63938:laying_down.
j
pg][attachment=63936:Body_Back_upright.jpg][attachment=63937:Body_end_mark.jpg][attachment=63939:In_
C
ase.jpg][attachment=63940:Bass_in_Case.jpg]

Edited by NJE

[quote name='daveybass' post='1023541' date='Nov 14 2010, 04:04 PM']Looks lovely Nath.

Nathan's a great guy to deal with so don't hesitate in buying from him..do I have a spare kidney??[/quote]

Hi Dave, hope the Aggie is ok after the DHL incident? Only got the cheque from them last Thursday :) . Anyway yes amazing bass, best I have owned if I am honest, but I have just got bad GAS and want to head back to 4 strings for a while. Cheers for the kind words.

[quote name='Manu Berdin' post='1023575' date='Nov 14 2010, 04:34 PM']Hi ,

Scale lenght , 35 " ?

Thanks[/quote]

Hi, yes sorry missed a key bit of info there, it is a 35" scale. All the best, Nathan.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1023726' date='Nov 14 2010, 06:40 PM']So, what we're looking at here is a bass that could easily go toe to toe with an NYC Sadowsky for under a grand? One to watch if you're a jazz bass player![/quote]This is a great bass as it was built for me origanally and i would love it back if i had the money.I asked the guys at overwater to spray it that colour based on a car colour moonstone blue with the pearl scratchplate,Its my favourite looking bass i ever owned..All the best with the sale John

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1023811' date='Nov 14 2010, 07:36 PM']Are you Gassing for what i think your gassing for Nathan?[/quote]

Ha ha, yeah you got me :) although not sure I will have the cash for it but think a four stringer is on the cards either way. Fingers crossed for a sale.

I had a bass in mind when I decided to sell this but I am not so keen on it anymore. I am now interested in trades for the right 4 string bass and have edited the opening post to reflect this.

Ideally I am ideally after something a MusicMan Stingray but If anyone has a Fender Custom or Nordstrand, Sadowsky or something with a Leo vibe I would be able to add some cash to a trade.

All the best,

Nathan

Edited by NJE