Why become a member? ×

allparts or fender? (turns out fender parts aren't universal!)

chrisd24

I have been after a jazz body for a while and now im faced with the dilemma of choosing between a stock Mexican standard jazz body(alder) and an allparts one(alder with traditional rout),and they also weigh pretty much exactly the same.

so my question is simply which is better and for what reasons?

Edited by chrisd24

[quote name='owen' post='1015508' date='Nov 7 2010, 06:29 PM']I guess it depends on the pickups/pre-amp or not. Are you thinking of putting an Allparts together or is it one someone has built?[/quote]

Neither body is loaded and the neck I already have to put on it is a jap fender one.

Both are immaculate and the same price.

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1015607' date='Nov 7 2010, 07:48 PM']Neither body is loaded and the neck I already have to put on it is a jap fender one.

Both are immaculate and the same price.[/quote]

I'd guess that the Fender neck and the Fender body will fit together perfectly, as they will have been cut to very specific measurements specific to Fender factories because Fender designed their parts to be interchangable in case of one part breaking etc.

I know a friend of mine had an Allparts bass neck and a Fender body and he needed to sand bits to get them to fit together properly, so they weren't a perfect fit.

I don't know anyone who has had a Fender neck to put on a Fender body, but I'd imagine that they need less work/sanding and should fit together better.

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1015607' date='Nov 7 2010, 07:48 PM']Neither body is loaded and the neck I already have to put on it is a jap fender one.

Both are immaculate and the same price.[/quote]

Whichever is the nicest colour then :)

[quote name='skej21' post='1015616' date='Nov 7 2010, 07:52 PM']I'd guess that the Fender neck and the Fender body will fit together perfectly, as they will have been cut to very specific measurements specific to Fender factories because Fender designed their parts to be interchangable in case of one part breaking etc.[/quote]

Oh my word. Do Fender know about this new change of direction?

:)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1016424' date='Nov 8 2010, 02:49 PM']Oh my word. Do Fender know about this new change of direction?

:)[/quote]

Yup. Watch from about 6:55 minutes in and that should explain all about how Leo designed Fender parts to be interchangable.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Emmaemme' post='1016661' date='Nov 8 2010, 06:18 PM']Aren't MIJ necks a slightly different size at the heel to MIA and MIM?? Don't worry, I'm often wrong about most things.[/quote]

Well unfortunately for me on this occasion you're very much right! looks like i may have to make a few small alterations to the neck pocket as the jap neck seems to taper out slightly and the pocket doesn't.......doh!

Any tips on how to do this would be appreciated,although I'm thinking a local luthier may be getting a call.