Why become a member? ×

Stupid Question Time!

Truckstop

Right, I'm planning for my build. I've already had some wick advice from Robbie (RIM) with regards to my thru-neck design and finishing and now I need some advice on something else!

Basically, I'm really liking the look of Piezo pickups. I want to create a bass without an actual visible pickup on the front of the body and I've seen Piezo pickup'd basses achieve that look. But I have absolutely zero experiences with them. i've never played a Piezo bass and so I have no idea how the electronics part of it works. I'm also planning on having only 2 knobs, a volume and a tone as I won't be having more than one pickup to switch between

Is it as simple as buying a 6-String Piezo Bridge, soldering it to a pre-amp, and then soldering it to a tone and a volume knob?

Any help appreciated!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1014539' date='Nov 6 2010, 05:35 PM']Right, I'm planning for my build. I've already had some wick advice from Robbie (RIM) with regards to my thru-neck design and finishing and now I need some advice on something else!

Basically, I'm really liking the look of Piezo pickups. I want to create a bass without an actual visible pickup on the front of the body and I've seen Piezo pickup'd basses achieve that look. But I have absolutely zero experiences with them. i've never played a Piezo bass and so I have no idea how the electronics part of it works. I'm also planning on having only 2 knobs, a volume and a tone as I won't be having more than one pickup to switch between

Is it as simple as buying a 6-String Piezo Bridge, soldering it to a pre-amp, and then soldering it to a tone and a volume knob?

Any help appreciated!

Truckstop[/quote]
it should be, but retaining the bottom end will be your challenge. i await more experienced responses.

I biult a bass with only a piezo pick up, I bought an Artec pick up and pre-amp, I just had to fit the strip under the bridge and plug in the pre-amp- no soldering.
This one:
I had tp make the body deeper than I'd planned because the pre-amp was the sort of thing that comes in an acoustic guitar, i needed the depth to fit it in. It has a three band eq.

You can get full bass and a full range of tones from a good piezo. Go to the Rob Allen site for sound clips of piezo only basses.

If you want a minimalist look you could use a stack knob for volume and tone. For no knobs at all, try slider controls on the top edge of the bass like electro acoustic guitars use.