Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would a compressor help...

HarryPotter

to even out the volume levels when I play?

Sometimes notes (and in particular the open strings) really thunder out when I play far above the rest of my runmblings.

Whilst I do want to retain some elements of dynamic expression when I wish, I would like to be able to even things out a bit.

So would it help?

TIA.

I think a compressor or limiter would help but would also recommend time spent with the EQ on your amp as it is perfectly possible to inadvertently create some problems by over compensating for something you don't like (eg trying to get more bass frequencies into you sound by turning up the bass rather than turning down the treble etc - they aren't the same thing). Also, it can be a string problem if your strings are old (i.e. check the notes that 'pop' out aren't all on the same string). You could also need to adjust the height of your pick-ups if there are discrepancies across the strings. There could be other things wrong that a compressor/limiter would only mask.

Harry - I meant to say that if you're local (which I get the impression you are) you could come and have a go of some of my compressors. I have digitech bass squeeze, ibanez CP5, boss LMB-3, and Zoom B2.1U which has quite a few compressors but they're not that easy to use.

It sounds like you may have a resonance problem - check your eq, try new strings, perhaps get the nut looked a by a competent tech. By all means get a limiter or compressor (or a comp with infinity:1 ratio at one end of the dial and an immediate attack so you've got both tools in one box). Personally I think compression is to bass what distortion is to guitar (I said personally NB those that don't like compression :) )