Why become a member? ×

Matt Pulcinella Level 6-string WITHDRAWN

XB26354

WITHDRAWN

I recently acquired this, and although it's a superb bass, I've decided to move in a different direction.

Matt Pulcinella is a small custom maker in the US - see www.mpguitars.com

Spec is:
2-pce swamp ash body
5A quilt maple top
1pce maple neck
Pau Ferro 24-fret fingerboard w/ abalone inlays
Bartolini quad-coil soapbars
Bartolini NTMB 18v 3-band eq with coil taps and pull mid to change mid freq
Hipshot bridge and Ultralite tuners

55m nut, 19mm spacing at the bridge
Dead on 4.5Kg/9.9lbs

Setup with med/low action and new DR Hi-Beams 30-125
Complete with gig bag.

Neck is really slim yet quite wide, very slick and fast. Weight and balance are also spot on, and you can reach right up to the 24th fret thanks to the deep treble cutaway.
Tonal palette is probably wider than on any bass I've played - it has it's own, slightly mellow singing quality but is capable of a really appealing stringy guitaristic solo tone right to a dead p-bass thump, or anything in between. B-string is spot on too (it is 35" scale, but you wouldn't know it because the neck is so well shaped). This is basically a real boutique feeling bass for not a lot of money - it reminds me a bit of a Fodera Imperial I once tried. It's that good. everything feels just right, from the volute at the back of the neck, to the downward pressure on the strings over the nut, to the very versatile electronics to the quick release bridge and lovely fast neck.

I've used photos from previous sales as condition is identical (hope previous sellers don't mind) - actual colour comes out a little darker than the pics.
I'm located in North London
For a quick sale [s]£850[/s] £800 inc postage to mainland UK
No trades at this time, although I could be interested in a maple board US Fender P-bass or similar plus some cash my way. If in doubt, take a punt!

Edited by XB26354

noooo. I love this bass and it fits every bit of my required criteria in an instrument! I lost sleep over whether to buy this or not and when it sold last time I actually relaxed. Now its back to haunt me.

I've heard MPG's compared to high end Yammy TRB's a lot in terms of tone and feel. Would you say that was a fair comparison?

Well there's a TRB-6P in the Gallery so I've had a chance to compare them both. They both have that wide/flat neck. The Yamaha is or course a neck-through so it's a little slimmer at the body join but overall I would say that the Pulcinella has a thinner, slightly nicer profile. I much prefer the tone of the MPG however, reminds me of a cross between a US MTD and a Fodera Imperial that I tried in the Gallery about a year ago. Having had a Ken Smith BSR6, Modulus Quantum 6, Warwick Streamer Stage 1 6 (x3), MTD 635-24, plus a couple of high end Yamahas and Ibanezes, the MPG stacks up as being as good as any of them. The neck, balance and tonal versatility are what set it apart from the others.

Wow that was quick. I can vouch for this instrument as I have played it on numerous occasions and found it to be flawless. The barts really set it apart in terms of tone and flexibility.

For me, this is the best 6 I have ever played and certainly is a match for the through-neck TRB6p, it is precisely engineered with a smooth fast and extremely comfortable neck. Maybe it was down to the set-up but it is so fast and smooth making it a real players bass with so much quality and flexibility attached to it!

Good luck

Andy

Edited by andy67

I should also mention that this has had a full fretstone and setup (as the fretwork was pretty uneven over), so now plays like a dream! I was playing it last night and it is extraordinarily versatile - it can really sound close to a passive Fender or like a really hi-tech boutique bass.