Why become a member? ×

Cab Advice

Big Muff

Hi,

I just bought an Ashdown Superfly head on eBay and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on which cab(s) to pair it with.

It's the model with two 250W into 4 ohm outputs.

I've already got an 8 ohm 200W 2x10 Laney cab and was thinking of getting another cheap 2x10 or 1x15 cab to run in parallel. I was thinking along the lines of an Ampeg SVT210AV or an Ashdown MAG210T which are both 200W/8 ohm.

Would running two of these cabs in parallel cause an issue with the fact they can only handle 200W each? :)

Cheers.

[quote name='Big Muff' post='1006409' date='Oct 30 2010, 04:12 PM']Hi,

I just bought an Ashdown Superfly head on eBay and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on which cab(s) to pair it with.

It's the model with two 250W into 4 ohm outputs.

I've already got an 8 ohm 200W 2x10 Laney cab and was thinking of getting another cheap 2x10 or 1x15 cab to run in parallel. I was thinking along the lines of an Ampeg SVT210AV or an Ashdown MAG210T which are both 200W/8 ohm.

Would running two of these cabs in parallel cause an issue with the fact they can only handle 200W each? :)

Cheers.[/quote]

Don't give a second thought to the stats quoted for the cabs. 250w into 200w cabs is not a problem, just be sure to use your ears and listen for them complaining and be sure not to distort your amp output. As for what to match with your existing cab... get another identical one! That is unless you want to start going down the route of getting a pair of 4 ohm cabs in which case if you are on a tight budget I'd get a pair of 2x10 Peavey TX cabs (they are generally 4 ohm cabs).

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1006415' date='Oct 30 2010, 04:18 PM']Don't give a second thought to the stats quoted for the cabs. 250w into 200w cabs is not a problem, just be sure to use your ears and listen for them complaining and be sure not to distort your amp output. As for what to match with your existing cab... get another identical one! That is unless you want to start going down the route of getting a pair of 4 ohm cabs in which case if you are on a tight budget I'd get a pair of 2x10 Peavey TX cabs (they are generally 4 ohm cabs).[/quote]

I'd go with 4ohm cabs to get the most out of the Superfly. I use one in the house for practice but I used to gig it with a single 2x10 4 ohm 400W or a 4x12 marshall 4ohm also 400W. Very rarely did I need to use both but with the 8ohm you might need to use 2 cabs to compete with a loud drummer.

The Peaveys are a good shout I think.

+1 Stick with a Pair of 4ohm cabs and the Peavey Cabs are great for the money... If you can find any then try any of the Yamaha BBT Cabs (1x10 / 2x10 / 4x10) these are all 4ohm cabs very light and all rated at around 250w each.

I had a pair of the 2x10 yamaha cabs and they were great although the Yamaha head was not for me. I also have a Superfly head but don't use it these days. It was great for rehearsal when i had a Yamaha BBT 1x10.

They do pop up on here every so often... I sold mine for around £145 each?

Good luck

Justin.

[quote name='Colledge' post='1006490' date='Oct 30 2010, 04:44 PM']if i had a superfly, i would buy an 8ohm 4x10 (making sure it has 8 ohm drivers rather than 2 or 32 (i don't even know if there is such a thing) and rewire it to present 2x4ohm loads so i could get the full power from a single cab.[/quote]

Trace used 32ohm speakers in their 1048 cabs

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I went for an Ampeg SVT210AV cab as it sounded great for it's size. No noticeable distortion when running it parallel @ 4 ohms but the Superfly head is making a weird whirring sound like an old kettle. Must be a dodgy fan or something.

Think I'll get rid of the old Laney cab and get another Ampeg to make a tiny stack like this guy did...

[quote name='Big Muff' post='1010386' date='Nov 3 2010, 09:14 AM']... but the Superfly head is making a weird whirring sound like an old kettle. Must be a dodgy fan or something.[/quote]

Nope, not a dodgy fan. I'm afraid it is a known fault with some of the Superfly heads. If you do a Google or maybe even BC search you may pull up various stories but can't remember for the life of me if it is even fixable!

I like the Superfly and so far the one I have has been no problem at all. I'm also thinking of running it as a pre amp using the line out into a power amp with 400+ per side into an Acme LowB 4ohm with Precision Device drivers that are on order as the original tens are a bit knackered and an Eminence loaded 1x15 8ohm. This also gives me the option to get another 8ohm cab to run the Superfly on its own with 3 cabs, ie the Acme from one output and 2x1x15 from the other. Lots of options and of course rehearsals will be just the Superfly plus the Acme for a nice easily transportable rig.