Why become a member? ×

Changing the pickguard on my 2010 American Standard 'P'

REDLAWMAN

Hi everyone,

I want to change the pick-guard/scratch plate on my 2010 MIA Standard 'P'.

I really want a matte black single-ply one like on the new Roger Waters' Signature, but it looks as if Fender only make them in Glass Black, so I'm going to have to get one made.

The guy at the Sim's Custom shop wants my original plate to copy.

Can anyone please explain the whole screening/shielding thing please?

I've heard that I'll have to get some new, self-adhesive shielding foil or something for the pickups and the back of the scratchplate??

Thanks everyone.

First off, the first part of your post doesn't really ask a question, its a statement. Your getting one made, excellent. Pleased for you. That "guy" at Sims is probably Martin the boss and one of the nicest and most helpful people in the business.

You will get a top notch plate from him, rest assured.

Re the second part of your post, is your bass making excessive noise then? If it is, then I am surprised on a MIA P bass. If not, dont worry about screening etc.

Edited by neilb

Yes Neil, it is Martin and I couldn't agree more: a really helpful and friendly guy.

Just going back to my question though, can anyone please explain the whole screening/shielding thing please?

I've heard that I'll have to get some new, self-adhesive shielding foil or something for the pickups and the back of the scratchplate??

I`ve changed the pickguards on three of mine, and all I did was when I got the new one, remove the shielding tape from the old one, and put it in the same place on the new one. Takes a bit of patience, as its generally stuck down well, so it can come off in a few bits, not just one, but take your time, and it should work out ok. None of my Precisions make any excess noise, so it seems to have worked ok. If you want to do a nicer job, as Gareth said, Maplins sell the shielding tape. Buy some, and then replicate what is on your old pickguard.

You can go further with fully shielding the cavity etc, but if your bass is fine at present, there shouldn`t be any change if you follow the above.

I cant speak for the MIA's but when i changed the PG on my Lakland Duck Dunn i put a PG on that didnt have conductive tape on it and i got a load of buzzing and hum.
The original one had the tape and worked fine so i got a small roll of tape from Maplins and all was well.

This is where it needs to go.

Edited by dave_bass5