Why become a member? ×

Earplugs for gigs

Mikeg

[quote name='dood' post='1003768' date='Oct 28 2010, 01:04 PM']Infact, with decent earplugs in (like ERs) - I've been to a few gigs where you could hear how rubbish the PA mix actually was when the volume isn't tearing your ears to pieces! - I always wear my plugs at gigs, unless of course the volume isn't a problem![/quote]

Interesting. Never even considered it till now. Those ACS ER things bloody expensive though. £165 and they look so easily loosable, shouldnt they have a string on them, so they dont fall out and be stomped in the moshpit (or whatever stokes your boiler)

Edited by daz

[quote name='chris_b' post='1012504' date='Nov 4 2010, 08:04 PM']Bands are playing much louder than they ever did so £165 is money very well spent.[/quote]

Not if one falls out your ear 2 minutes into the gig, as your leaping around, and is pounded into a million pieces.

I have the moulded plugs & they've [i][b]never[/b][/i] fallen out.

I've moshed, headbanged, danced. No problems.

It does seem like a lot but if you use them every week (as I do) it's not a lot if you ammortize the cost over the lifetime.

Plus I'm very careful with them as they are expensive!

There's no way the moulded custom fit earplugs can just fall out - I would say it's not far from impossible.
If your head is being shaken that violently then the last thing you should be worrying about is your ear plugs as your neck will have just snapped! :)

Grumbling about paying £165 to SAVE your hearing is just crazy - I struggle to understand how anyone can't see how that is THE best £165 you could spend on any bit of kit.
:)

[quote name='99ster' post='1012583' date='Nov 4 2010, 09:11 PM']...Grumbling about paying £165 to SAVE your hearing is just crazy - I struggle to understand how anyone can't see how that is THE best £165 you could spend on any bit of kit.
:)[/quote]
I don't think it's until you start to realise that your hearing has been permanently affected does the finality of the situation sink in fully. It's like people who take up smoking without a thought that they are shortening their lives only to arrive at a point where those few extra years would come in handy. I have been exposed to loud music for decades and what I'm doing now is trying as best as I can to not lose any more of the frequencies that have gone awol. After all our ears are the primary tool of our trade.

[quote name='daz' post='1012508' date='Nov 4 2010, 08:07 PM']....Not if one falls out your ear 2 minutes into the gig, as your leaping around, and is pounded into a million pieces....[/quote]
Moulded plugs are not supposed to fall out because they are designed and made to be a tight fit.

Mine are connected by cord to a clip that is fixed to my collar. Most people think I'm using in-ears.

There really is no down side. I insure my house, contents and car each year for way more than £165. And what I've got left of my hearing is worth much more than that.

Edited by chris_b