Why become a member? ×

Wizard Thumper or Trad for my CV P?

dave_bass5

Im pretty much decided on one of the above.

Im not really sure what to go for, although im more in favour of the Thumper (due to its name). I dont really want a hot pup, certainly nothing like a SDQP.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience with both. I know certain people on here use one or the other so i would also like to hear from them.
Also anyone (like Neil) who has upgraded the stock CV P. How different did it sound to the stock one?

For what its worth im playing standard covers, no metal but a lot of 60-70's stuff, as well as current songs. I know it sounds like the Trad is the way to go, having that vintage vibe etc but if the Thumper has more thump, that also appeals to me.

I also love Fralins so if anyone knows which is closer to one of those then thats the one ill go for.

Im really only interested in Wizards at the moment (unless anyone has a Fralin for sale).

Cheers.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='997944' date='Oct 23 2010, 12:23 PM']Im pretty much decided on one of the above.

Im not really sure what to go for, although im more in favour of the Thumper (due to its name). I dont really want a hot pup, certainly nothing like a SDQP.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience with both. I know certain people on here use one or the other so i would also like to hear from them.
Also anyone (like Neil) who has upgraded the stock CV P. How different did it sound to the stock one?

For what its worth im playing standard covers, no metal but a lot of 60-70's stuff, as well as current songs. I know it sounds like the Trad is the way to go, having that vintage vibe etc but if the Thumper has more thump, that also appeals to me.

I also love Fralins so if anyone knows which is closer to one of those then thats the one ill go for.

Im really only interested in Wizards at the moment (unless anyone has a Fralin for sale).

Cheers.[/quote]
I have the Wizard Thumper in my Aerodyne ( Along with a Dimarzio model J. bridge pup ) and it sounds awsome -- Its my favourite Gigging Bass at the moment, I also have a P-bass with a Kent Armstrong Vintage Alnico that I rate a very close 2nd to the Thumper.

In my opinion both the Thumper and the Kent are better sounding than any of my other Fender P pups ( including my 1978 P-bass.)

If you are in the Leeds area at any time you are welcome to try them out for yourself!

Will.

I have a Trad in my 75 Precision. I can't really see me wanting anything else as it gives me the classic tones with rounds and flats. The bass is quite light and open sounding so the pups seem to compliment the bass as a whole. I emailed Andy asking his opinion and he advised on the Trad to get the classic P bass tone. Good output as well.

[quote name='stinson' post='997997' date='Oct 23 2010, 01:23 PM']I'm sure you'd be happy with either to be honest! great value and service[/quote]

Thats the problem, i would be happy with either but i only have room for one.
I could buy both but i dont think thats really practical.

I have 74's in my HW-one Jazz and cant beleive how good it sounds, im hoping the same magic will work on the CV P.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='998014' date='Oct 23 2010, 01:39 PM']I've got two trads & love them. If you phone him he'll be able to advise directly. Tell him what you play & what you are looking for - it's what I did[/quote]

Yeah, ive already emailed him all the deatils but ill probably give him a call next week.

Cheers.

Dave, As you know I put a trad in my CV which was fine for what I wanted (a more Motowny sound). However in previous Ps Ive had I have put the Thumper in, its a bit livelier and the output is a tad hotter i think.

For what your after, go for the Trad mate.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1003186' date='Oct 27 2010, 10:32 PM']Well the coin landed on the Thumper so its been ordered. Im sure if it doesn't work out i can sell it on her so nothing to loose.[/quote]

I'll be interested in how you find the thumper in that bass - I've got a CV P too and the stock pickups seem to be hotter than the 84s I've got in my Jazz but maybe that's comparing apples and pears.

You obviously find the standard ones wanting - be interested to know why.

[quote name='thinman' post='1012638' date='Nov 4 2010, 09:57 PM']I'll be interested in how you find the thumper in that bass - I've got a CV P too and the stock pickups seem to be hotter than the 84s I've got in my Jazz but maybe that's comparing apples and pears.

You obviously find the standard ones wanting - be interested to know why.[/quote]

After a false start (couldn't get it to fit the pick guard, and then when i did it was faulty) im back on track and will be fitting it over the weekend.

Im not sure what i dont like about the stock pup, it sounds fine at home but a bit muddy at the gig last week.

I think i just wanted to get away from the more vintage/traditionl P tone and the Thumper seemed like a good idea. MY idela pup is a Fralin but i cant afford one and fancy a change anyeaway.

I dont know what it is about my CV's but to my ears they are a mellower than other Jazz and P's ive owend. Not a bad thing but i prefer more modern tones.

For what its worth ive also got a Fender Vintage bridge on the bass now, and my CV Jazz neck.