Why become a member? ×

'Modified' Squier/Fender basses

I noticed this guy some time back and he's developed quite a market for his 'modified' Squier/Fender basses. Essentially he trawls eBay picking up cheap Fender copies then slaps a Fender logo on them (he has never attempted to pass the copies off as the real thing), changes the scratchplate then puts them back on eBay for substantially more than he paid for them. I'm not saying what he does is wrong... other than putting Fender logos on Squier basses but it amazes me how many he sells and folks don't have the sense to look at his buying/selling history and suss out they could make a massive saving by doing exactly the same thing for themselves.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Modified-3T-Sunburst-Squier-Bass-/330482648638?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4cf24d063e"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Mod...=item4cf24d063e[/url]

Aside from the legal/moral issues of the logo swap, he has to source and apply the logo, sand the headstock and respray it, plus sourcing and fitting the pickguard. It's not a lot of work, but still not something everyone wants to do or feels confident in doing.

Plus he's taking attractive pictures and writing good copy. Compare his auction with the ones he's bought from - if you were looking for a nice cheap bass to play rather than mod, which one would you buy?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='992598' date='Oct 18 2010, 06:52 PM']If you read my original post you'll see that I've not criticised the eBayer in any way;[/quote]

Yeah, I know you didn't. And I understand what you're saying about the buyers. Just that having cocked up the odd mod myself, I do sympathise with anyone who would rather pay for someone else to do it.

I wonder if anyone thinks they're getting a Squier Vintage Modified Precision?