Why become a member? ×

Fender 51Re-Issue Precision, 1996 WITHDRAWN

Telebass

Will post pics ASAP, but here goes:

MIJ 1996 - by serial and '50th Anniversary' decal on rear of headstock.

Pale blond, not butterscotch/mustardy colour of later versions.

Is fitted with bridge and pickup covers and raw maple tug bar, made for me by John at Bravewood Guitars.

Neck is much more akin, profile-wise, to an early 60s P, not the baseball bats like my Sting had, for example. Very easy to play. 'B' idth, and a little deeper front-to-back, than my MIM split-coil (which is very slim indeed).

Electronics are stock except capacitor changed to Sprague Orange Drop - opened the sound out a bit.

Marks/blemishes: either side of the neck pocket, there's a small laquer crack, ther when I got it. There's a slim scratch on the neck plate, not a big deal. Otherwise, it just about pristine. I take huge pains to avoid buckle rash. There's none.

It has most assuredly been gigged! But I look after my kit. You would not think it had been out of the house, just nicely looked after for fourteen years.
(Mickeyboro of these hallowed portals was its owner before me, so history before 2006 might be got from him).

It lives in a Warwick Rockbag, included.

OK, what do I want for it? £550 plus any postage/courier costs. Might do a straight trade for an equally good nick Oly White/Rosewood/Tort split-coil.

Any info needed, just PM. I'll try and get pics up by the end of today.

Cheers,
Den

Edited by Telebass

How did it come to have a thinner neck on it? Is that what they did for the 50th Anniversary?
The only thing that put me off my CIJ, apart from the reverse tuners, was the railway sleeper neck - although to be fair I got pretty much used to it by the time I sold it on. My Shuker and home-made versions intentionally don't have that "authentic feature". :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='984402' date='Oct 11 2010, 01:32 PM']How did it come to have a thinner neck on it? Is that what they did for the 50th Anniversary?
The only thing that put me off my CIJ, apart from the reverse tuners, was the railway sleeper neck - although to be fair I got pretty much used to it by the time I sold it on. My Shuker and home-made versions intentionally don't have that "authentic feature". :)[/quote]

Strangely, the neck on mine is not at all like a railway sleeeper. It's 42mm wide but not too deep. I find it fast and easy to play. I suppose they must all be a little different?

If this one for sale is as nice as mine someone will love it.

Have a bump.

Frank.

The neck profile was a big surprise to me when I got it from Mickeyboro. We did a sight-unseen trade, the other bass being a Warwick Streamer Std 5.
I hoped it would be a bit slimmer than my Sting, and it was - a lot!

In fact, having fondled it again with this point in mind, I'm a-gonna keep it. As I said above, it's become a bit of a trade-mark:-

"Rock 'n' Roll Outlaws bass player? You mean the old geezer with the yellow bass?"

:)

Thank Gawd you've seen sense!

I should add that while he's been 'fondling' this one I have got through about ten 'second basses', nine of which weren't as good. So there must be something to it.

And one day, Den, I [i]will[/i] forgive you for that Warwick... :)