Why become a member? ×

Buying a bass for beginners

funky_numba

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your advice!!!! This site is truly amazing!!!! Love it already!!

I'm going to buy new as opposed to second-hand. Would love a Yamaha BB414 but based on my budget I think I will be opting for a Yamaha RBX 170.. possibly in old violin sunburst or red metallic.

I will obviously need a practice amp but again, I'm a newbie to this so any help/ advice on a decent amp would be much appreciated. Just need one to use for practicing the bass in my bedroom so nothing seriously loud.

Would I need any effects pedals?

Looking for a package deal for around £200 to include the RBX 170 but could not find any online. Help please!!!!

Thanks again for your input!!! :)

[quote name='funky_numba' post='985070' date='Oct 12 2010, 12:04 AM']Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your advice!!!! This site is truly amazing!!!! Love it already!!

I'm going to buy new as opposed to second-hand. Would love a Yamaha BB414 but based on my budget I think I will be opting for a Yamaha RBX 170.. possibly in old violin sunburst or red metallic.

I will obviously need a practice amp but again, I'm a newbie to this so any help/ advice on a decent amp would be much appreciated. Just need one to use for practicing the bass in my bedroom so nothing seriously loud.

Would I need any effects pedals?

Looking for a package deal for around £200 to include the RBX 170 but could not find any online. Help please!!!!

Thanks again for your input!!! :)[/quote]

Had a look round they are not really any packages as such but iv put this together for you that will easily cover what you need to practice on =]

Bass: Yamaha RBX170 [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/yamaha-rbx170-bass-guitar-dark-metallic-blue--12177"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/yamaha-rbx170...lic-blue--12177[/url]

Amp: Ashdown Tourbus 10 [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ashdown-tourbus-10-bass-practice-amplifier-combo--73694"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ashdown-tourb...er-combo--73694[/url]

That's a 10 watt practice amp that will be perfect for you to practice on it might be small but it will still pack a bit of a punch =P.

And no you don't need any effects pedals to start with that can come later when you wana experiment with sounds.

That package I put together there comes to £181 so thats within your £200 budget so you can spend any extras on like a strap and stuff like that.

Hope you like it =].

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='985255' date='Oct 12 2010, 06:59 AM']Had a look round they are not really any packages as such but iv put this together for you that will easily cover what you need to practice on =]

Bass: Yamaha RBX170 [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/yamaha-rbx170-bass-guitar-dark-metallic-blue--12177"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/yamaha-rbx170...lic-blue--12177[/url]

Amp: Ashdown Tourbus 10 [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ashdown-tourbus-10-bass-practice-amplifier-combo--73694"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ashdown-tourb...er-combo--73694[/url]

That's a 10 watt practice amp that will be perfect for you to practice on it might be small but it will still pack a bit of a punch =P.

And no you don't need any effects pedals to start with that can come later when you wana experiment with sounds.

That package I put together there comes to £181 so thats within your £200 budget so you can spend any extras on like a strap and stuff like that.

Hope you like it =].[/quote]

Hi 4stringFortress,

A big thanks for narrowing down my options!!!!!

Re the RBX170 colour, I will prob be going for either the Old Violin Sunburst, Red Metallic or the amber version. Thats £149 or so.

You've sorted out my Bass amp. Gonna save me a lot of time looking for something that I didn't have a scoobie about.

All I need will be a decent set of headphones. Think I could manage that.

Is that a BB414 you've got? What's your style of play.. Rock, Funk, Jazz...?

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='986409' date='Oct 12 2010, 11:14 PM']Yea I have a BB414 with it I find rock sounds very very VERY nice on it but im gona shove some flatwound strings on it and use it for Funk and Jazz I think.
I love its sound very hot pick ups and it has some real punch.[/quote]

Another Yummy Yammy then? I'm sooooo jealous. Are you in a band at the mo? :)

[quote name='charic' post='985279' date='Oct 12 2010, 08:09 AM']Ashdown Perfect 10 is a brilliant practice amp but may push you slightly over budget[/quote]

Thanks for the update. I may have to go slightly over budget if I've decided on the rbx170 and the ashdown!!

Roll on payday!! I just hope after all this time, I won't get bored playing bass!!! :)

[quote name='funky_numba' post='986518' date='Oct 13 2010, 03:08 AM']Another Yummy Yammy then? I'm sooooo jealous. Are you in a band at the mo? :)[/quote]

A very yummy Yammy =P
And nope no band at the moment im currently running free =P

Edited by 4StringFortress

Hi all,

Been reading some stuff about 'humbucker' pickups and that they reduce excessive noise. Does that mean that if I buy a bass with single pickup coil or whateva, i will get louder unwanted hum from that bass if the volume is turned up on an amp which is connected to other equipment, effects pedals, etc? :)

How bad would it sound??

Hope that makes sense...

Thanks again.

[quote name='funky_numba' post='987213' date='Oct 13 2010, 06:02 PM']Hi all,

Been reading some stuff about 'humbucker' pickups and that they reduce excessive noise. Does that mean that if I buy a bass with single pickup coil or whateva, i will get louder unwanted hum from that bass if the volume is turned up on an amp which is connected to other equipment, effects pedals, etc? :)

How bad would it sound??

Hope that makes sense...

Thanks again.[/quote]
In a nutshell, yep you can get hum from a lone single coil pup. But it is more often down to interference from the locale. There are only a few basses with just one single coil pup, the most famous being the 51 P. A Jazz bass for example has 2 single coil pickups but when both pups are used at the same volume, because of how they are wired they effectively become a single humbucker. Often as not hum can be dealt with by shielding.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='987368' date='Oct 13 2010, 08:18 PM']In a nutshell, yep you can get hum from a lone single coil pup. But it is more often down to interference from the locale. There are only a few basses with just one single coil pup, the most famous being the 51 P. A Jazz bass for example has 2 single coil pickups but when both pups are used at the same volume, because of how they are wired they effectively become a single humbucker. Often as not hum can be dealt with by shielding.[/quote]

How I would 'sheild' the bass from interference? And hypothetically speaking, would it affect the sound in a live performance?

On a similar note.. the spec I saw for the Yamaha SBX 170 mentions - Dual P/J-style pups. What does that mean?

Thanks to all!!!!!

[quote name='funky_numba' post='987593' date='Oct 14 2010, 12:38 AM']How I would 'sheild' the bass from interference? And hypothetically speaking, would it affect the sound in a live performance?

On a similar note.. the spec I saw for the Yamaha SBX 170 mentions - Dual P/J-style pups. What does that mean?

Thanks to all!!!!![/quote]Shielding is carried out by lining the cavities with copper tape/foil. There's lots of info on it if you search.

Pay particular attention to the pickups in the pic below

The bass 2nd from top is a P bass (Precision)

The bass at the bottom is a J bass (Jazz)

And the top one and 2nd from bottom are P/J basses. Can you see why?

I took a half-day off work today to trawl around glasgow to find a decent beginners bass and to be honest, I'm still confused by the whole bass guitar world. There was Jazz bass, Precision Bass, Single Coil, Humbuckers blah blah!!

I had a mindset to buy a Yamaha RBX 170 however, when I visited a shop today and tried out said bass (with an Ashburn Perfect 10 amp), I found that the fingers of my left hand struggled on the frets. The shop assistant led me from the Yamaha 170 to a 'better fit' Squier P affinity bass. It was a more comfortable fit and a much richer sound but a few quid more, however, I felt as though I was missing out on something. The cheaper Yamaha 170 had 2 pups but the more expensive Squier P bass had only one pup.

Am I missing something.... what is better... a bass with 1 pup or a bass with 2 pups.

I was later given a Squier Jazz bass to try out but someone else took up the 'sound room' so I never got the chance to hear the Squier Jazz bass.

I'm lost now!! I realise that it may take some time to develop the necessary skills to play a bass guitar however, I don't want to end up spending money on a bass that does not fit my needs.

Thanks to all respondants!!
P.

[quote name='funky_numba' date='Oct 16 2010, 02:18 AM']Am I missing something.... what is better... a bass with 1 pup or a bass with 2 pups.[/quote]
Neither is better. 2 pups will give you more versatility but that's probably not something you should worry about until you are gigging ect.

It's definitely worth taking someone knowledgeable with you. They'll be able to tell you, for example, if a guitar has been well set-up. I say this because from what I remember the Yamaha and Squier P neck and fret profiles are pretty close, so if the Yamaha didn't play well it may be because of this (I've never found one that couldn't be set up to play very easily with a trussrod tweak and a play around with the action at the bridge). Someone experienced would also be able to tell the difference between something that sounds better because of superior pickups/wood rather than, simply, the fact that it had newer strings on than anything else.

For maximum versatility of tone, 2 pickups are very useful, however, the P bass itself with just the one pickup has been used in pretty much every style of music that uses bass! So if you liked the sound and feel of the Affinity P, then go for it. I know I've said before, but don't be scared of looking secondhand to make the most of your budget.

Good luck!

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='989912' date='Oct 16 2010, 03:24 AM']It's definitely worth taking someone knowledgeable with you. They'll be able to tell you, for example, if a guitar has been well set-up. I say this because from what I remember the Yamaha and Squier P neck and fret profiles are pretty close, so if the Yamaha didn't play well it may be because of this (I've never found one that couldn't be set up to play very easily with a trussrod tweak and a play around with the action at the bridge). Someone experienced would also be able to tell the difference between something that sounds better because of superior pickups/wood rather than, simply, the fact that it had newer strings on than anything else.

For maximum versatility of tone, 2 pickups are very useful, however, the P bass itself with just the one pickup has been used in pretty much every style of music that uses bass! So if you liked the sound and feel of the Affinity P, then go for it. I know I've said before, but don't be scared of looking secondhand to make the most of your budget.

Good luck![/quote]

Hi LawrenceH,

Maybe a Squier JAZZ Bass might be a better option as opposed to a PRESICION Bass, as it apparently has a much richer tone than a precision bass. But as i've said before, i'm a total newbie with bass playing so i'm like a fish out of water at the mo.

I've taken on board what you and everyone else has said re buying second hand. A friend at work has a brother who has a collection of basses which he may want to sell. Will find out next week if he has any decent gear to sell.

On another note.. I checked out an Ashburn Perfect 10 as a practice amp, however when I tried it at the shop, I thought that it sounded a bit weak so may need to have another look about for something louder.

The ashdown will be plenty loud enough for home practice. I've even used one at band practices and my mate uses one at church all the time without any problem.

Again, take a friend as the eq could have been set terribly on either. He bass or amp.

:)

I know it's confusing with all the different opinions, but I had an Ashdown Perfect 10 as part of a trade deal once and it was IMO the worst practice amp I've ever tried. Quite bassy but no definition to the tone making it feel like very hard work to play through and incredibly sluggish-sounding. Good if you just want a general low rumble but not musical at all IMO. Conversely, I really quite like my old Ashdown Electric Blue, even though it's about as budget as giggable combos get. Tried a small Marshall practice amp in a shop and it was fairly honest tone-wise, certainly more so than the posher Hartke 4 x 10" that they initially plugged me into, through which every bass sounded the same!

Hi Guys,

Been spending some of the weekend pondering on all your info. I'm still at odds about what to buy. I will get there somehow.

I have been googling the Yamaha BB414 for a while and really love the sound of it!!!!! Additionally, the wine red colour version looks amazing!!!

Question is... if I opted for that model.. where would I be able to buy one second hand, in good condition and from Glasgow or the surrounding areas. I'd also, if possible, like to hear it for myself that it is in working order.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!!!

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='983726' date='Oct 10 2010, 08:17 PM']If you pick the right bass you can use it for most styles and yes depending on the strings will change the sound of your bass.
Also depending on the amp you use and also if you use any effects that will also change the sound of your bass.[/quote]

I have listened to the BB414 on youtube (limited amount of videos tho) and I love the sound it produces.

Have you used your 414 for gigs? Is it worth considering? Will my hands/ fingers need stretched to the limit in order to play it properly?

[quote name='funky_numba' post='991886' date='Oct 18 2010, 02:06 AM']I have listened to the BB414 on youtube (limited amount of videos tho) and I love the sound it produces.

Have you used your 414 for gigs? Is it worth considering? Will my hands/ fingers need stretched to the limit in order to play it properly?[/quote]

Not yet iv used it in a few jam sessions though and I loved it,
I had it on for 3 hours straight and it was comfortable and not too heavy.

Its the kinda bass that when you turn up to jam sessions the others do comment on what a cool bass it looks (especially if you can get your hands on a metallic orange one!).

Its sound and tone no matter what style of music I play it seems to slip in nicely from funk and jazz too heavy metal, also sounds very good when slapping.

When it comes too being able to stretch im not sure coz I don't know how big your hands are but I learnt on a P-bass with a proper precision neck (basically very fat and chunky) and at the start I wasn't able to stretch and I struggled for a couple of weeks but the more I tried the better I got and now I can stretch my hands easily.

So I wouldn't worry if you cant do it straight away it will come with practice and hand exercises. When it comes to playing it the BB414 the neck is very comfy and isn't chunky at all. It similar to the neck on my RBX374 which is a jazz neck. Its just generally a joy to play and I wouldn't trade it for anything at all.

I hope this has helped feel free to ask any more questions or PM me if you like =].

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='991907' date='Oct 18 2010, 07:04 AM']Not yet iv used it in a few jam sessions though and I loved it,
I had it on for 3 hours straight and it was comfortable and not too heavy.

Its the kinda bass that when you turn up to jam sessions the others do comment on what a cool bass it looks (especially if you can get your hands on a metallic orange one!).

Its sound and tone no matter what style of music I play it seems to slip in nicely from funk and jazz too heavy metal, also sounds very good when slapping.

When it comes too being able to stretch im not sure coz I don't know how big your hands are but I learnt on a P-bass with a proper precision neck (basically very fat and chunky) and at the start I wasn't able to stretch and I struggled for a couple of weeks but the more I tried the better I got and now I can stretch my hands easily.

So I wouldn't worry if you cant do it straight away it will come with practice and hand exercises. When it comes to playing it the BB414 the neck is very comfy and isn't chunky at all. It similar to the neck on my RBX374 which is a jazz neck. Its just generally a joy to play and I wouldn't trade it for anything at all.

I hope this has helped feel free to ask any more questions or PM me if you like =].[/quote]

Hi there,

I'm still on my quest to find that first bass.

Still would love a BB414 mmmm.

A friend in the work informed me that her brother is a keen musician who has a collection of instruments.. keyboards, electric guitars, bass guitars..

She told me that he was selling a bass that he started off with. It's a 'Wesley' bass. I don't know what model or colour it is. I do know that is has only one pickup in the centre of the body.

I was sent an image of the bass that looks similar to the one he is selling. His has only two centre pickups, doesn’t have the one nearest the bridge, the one in the picture is a fender.

[url="http://uk.mg40.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f218808%5fANoKDNkAAHMnTMBgtw7vBlv48Pw&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1"]Wesley Bass[/url]

He is also selling a 'Stagg' beginners amp. I have no idea what that is like.

I was offered the bass and amp for £50. A superb price but would like some idea what the bass might sound like. Is one pickup good for starters or should I still opt for one with 2 pickups?

Please help if you can.!!

Thanks very much, :)